Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#49366 - 11/06/09 04:52 PM Waterfalls in the Catskill
Adrian Offline
journeyman

hi, all. I'm trying to do as many Catskill waterfall ice (<4) as I possibly can this winter. According to Marty's guidebook, I have Hillyer, Viola, Wildcat, Buttermilk, Platteskill, Kaaterskil, Black Chasm, Japanese, and Bridals Veil. Am I missing anything? Also, I know waterfall takes a long time to come, I'm just wondering the usually timeframe for the falls to come in, like which ones would come in first, and which ones are the last to form?

Any help is appreciated!

#49367 - 11/06/09 05:02 PM Re: Waterfalls in the Catskill [Re: Adrian]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
That covers the 'legal' waterfall list. As far as conditions, as with any waterfall a long deep freeze, and then they can still be at times the most terrifying objects I've ever tried to move vertically up on.

#49368 - 11/06/09 05:19 PM Re: Waterfalls in the Catskill [Re: Smike]
AOC Offline

Kaaterskill Falls is always the last to form. The upper tier doesn't come in at all some years. Heed the warnings in the guidebook about this one. It is a very dangerous climb.

#49369 - 11/06/09 08:15 PM Re: Waterfalls in the Catskill [Re: AOC]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
The flows on Buttermilk are wide, so climbable ice forms on the sides quite early. Usually the first traffic of the season is dictated by when the Kaaterskill Creek is safe/easy to cross. The lower pitches of Wildcat are narrow (as is the exit of the stellar top pitch), so give that one extra time. Viola and Hillyer are somewhere in the middle. Know that Hillyer hangs around longest at the end of the season, and is the only one on that side of the clove that doesn't require crossing the Kaaterskill. (Well I guess you can travers easily enough over to Viola and W'cat) If folks are reporting fat conditions on Buttermilk, then the Platte Creek falls are likely in. The lower ones tend to be thinner than Platte and B'veil.

#49388 - 11/09/09 01:22 AM Re: Waterfalls in the Catskill [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Thanks! I can't wait for the ice season to start!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored