Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Hooker02), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49591 - 11/18/09 12:24 AM Watch out!
cfrac Offline
addict

This is a rather expensive experiment, GS race skis with telemark bindings, we'll see what happens!

Edited by cfrac (11/18/09 12:26 AM)

#49592 - 11/18/09 12:50 AM Re: Watch out! [Re: cfrac]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Have you tele'ed on super-sidecut skis before? That would be my main concern.

#49593 - 11/18/09 01:21 AM Re: Watch out! [Re: Mike Rawdon]
cfrac Offline
addict

Yes, I've been on a lot of modern skis but I can't seem to carve on ice the way the racers do on alpine so I figured being in the East it was time to see if these things will make a difference.

#49595 - 11/18/09 03:47 AM Re: Watch out! [Re: cfrac]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I believe it was a similar experiment that caused the Tazmanian Devil to start spinning so rapidly.

#49627 - 11/19/09 06:01 PM Re: Watch out! [Re: chip]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Cfrac is just frustrated by all the youngsters on his varsity ski squad blowing his doors off through the gates. But, I'm not sure if that is a function of ski design or shall we say it,........ age, brother, age. As far as being able to handle those puppies, he'll do just fine. He's been hard to stay with in the past, now he'll be impossible, we'll just have to keep him in the woods. RC

#49644 - 11/20/09 12:06 PM Re: Watch out! [Re: cfrac]
talus Offline
veteran

Volkl are quality made skis! here is a heavy duty, hard charging, high flying setup i picked up at the end of last season. Bring on the snow!

#49672 - 11/20/09 08:50 PM Re: Watch out! [Re: Rickster]
cfrac Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Cfrac is just frustrated by all the youngsters on his varsity ski squad blowing his doors off through the gates. But, I'm not sure if that is a function of ski design or shall we say it,........ age, brother, age. As far as being able to handle those puppies, he'll do just fine. He's been hard to stay with in the past, now he'll be impossible, we'll just have to keep him in the woods. RC

Unfortunately you speak the truth Rick, my legs are still recovering from 2 hours of playing soccer during ski practice yesterday with the team, but as far as the gates go watch out, I'm going for it! I signed up for the Thunderbolt ski race too!

John your setup looks sick! Those things look like they are designed to raid a medieval village!

#49681 - 11/20/09 10:27 PM Re: Watch out! [Re: cfrac]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Chris, have you skied the "Bolt"? We got up there two weeks in a row last season and hit it right both times. They've done a fine job of refurbishing the trail, but I'm not sure what they are doing for a finish line. I just checked onthesnow.com and brother, it's looking grim. Only a hand full of ski areas across the country are even open. The majority of the western mtn areas are still closed as well. Ever hopeful, RC

#49706 - 11/23/09 04:45 PM Re: Watch out! [Re: Mike Rawdon]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Have you tele'ed on super-sidecut skis before? That would be my main concern.

I've tele'd on BD Stigmas which probably have about the same sidecut as the skis in the picture, but in a fatter & softer ski. I think sidecut works quite well for tele, although I would hesitate to mount an SL (as opposed to GS) race ski tele.

The Stigmas have enough sidecut that they are turny but are somewhat demanding of proper tele technique, which I lack. Or else the tails tend to lock in to the snow. I wouldn't want to try it with an SL ski but GS would probably work.

#50582 - 02/21/10 12:33 AM Re: Watch out! [Re: pedestrian]
cfrac Offline
addict

Watch out! is right I had my babies stolen at Hunter last week!
As far as the experiment went it was rough at first but once I got the hang of them it was amazing, I was finally able to edge on ANYTHING. I could carve lines on ice and hold it together in a GS course. So I know this is a long shot but there are few telemark skiers out there and I would think my Volkls with Hammerheads would stand out. They are 08', 183cm with "Inside Edge" stickers on them. If you see them out there on the slopes I would love to get any information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored