Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#50318 - 01/23/10 10:22 AM Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
It's been an awful week in politics. Democrats are running away from national healthcare reform. Many learned the exact wrong thing from the MA election, and are now pushing for even more watered-down, big-business-approved legislation -- or no reform bill at all.

This problem -- Democratic weakness and bowing to corporate interests -- is why the Working Families Party exists. And it's why we're asking you and everyone you know to pledge to vote on the Working Families ballot line today. Just click here:

http://action.workingfamiliesparty.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=603

We're no spoiler party. We support Democrats a lot of the time -- and when we do, it's because we expect them to put the interests of progressives and working families first. These politicians know that they could lose the WFP's support -- and their elections -- if they don't do the right thing.

The more of us there are, the more they'll be compelled to listen. So if you're sick and disgusted with the news from Washington, there's something you can do about it today: tell the Democrats you're voting on the Working Families Party line.

There's never been a better time to jump on board. And if enough people do, it'll make news, in New York and maybe even nationally. All you need to do is take the pledge:

http://action.workingfamiliesparty.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=603

It's a dark moment. But if it means that tens of thousands of us roll up our sleeves and get to work actually holding Democrats accountable, we'll come out of this better than we went in.

Thanks,

Bob Master and Sam Williams, WFP Co-Chairs

Dan Cantor, WFP Executive Director

#50319 - 01/23/10 12:01 PM Re: Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY [Re: yorick]
yorick Offline
old hand

WFP's Secret to Success:
Fusion Voting

Third parties aren't too common in America, and there's a reason why. Too often, voting for a third party candidate means casting your ballot for someone you know doesn't have much hope of winning or, even worse, will hand a victory to the candidate you like the least (think Nader's impact in Florida, 2000).

Not in New York. New York is one of the few states with "fusion" voting, which means one candidate can be endorsed by multiple parties. This gives voters a way to "vote their values" without spoiling an election.

Fusion lets third parties like the Working Families party demonstrate support for the issues we're fighting for. When votes on the WFP's line help a candidate win, they know it, and we can hold that politician accountable to working people, instead of special interests.
Take the Pledge: I'm voting for change and I mean it. I'm voting for WFP-endorsed candidates on the Working Families line - "Row E"

http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/elections/fusion-the-secret-weapon/

#50323 - 01/23/10 12:17 PM Re: Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY [Re: yorick]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I have heard that WFP isn't just a party but has a profitable business as well. Is that so?

#50324 - 01/23/10 02:20 PM Re: Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY [Re: oenophore]
yorick Offline
old hand

Today, the New York Times published an important article about what the Working Families Party has accomplished and where we stand as we enter our 12th year of fighting for working- and middle-class people across the state. I've pasted it below.

I see this story as a testament to the change we have made together. It also addresses growing attacks on the WFP from well-funded political opponents.

Real estate developers and Wall Street have their views about how to share the blessings and burdens of our society, and we have ours. We will never have the financial resources that they do. But we do have grassroots WFP supporters and activists like you, and we will be a force for change as long as we stay organized and united.

I hope you'll take a moment to read the article below. As always, thank you for all that you do. And hey - if you want to chip in to keep our work going, you can do that right here:

www.workingfamiliesparty.org/contribute.php

Dan Cantor
WFP Executive Director

January 6, 2010

As Clout Grows, Working Families Party Faces a Question: Has It Reached Too Far?
By MICHAEL POWELL

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/nyregion/06wfp.html

#50326 - 01/23/10 02:49 PM Re: Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY [Re: yorick]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
According to that cited NY Times article, what I'd heard about the WFP's having a profitable business is correct. It seems that what the GOP is to large corporations, the WFP is to large unions.

#50328 - 01/23/10 05:04 PM Re: Spine Up the Democrats: Join the WFP in NY [Re: oenophore]
yorick Offline
old hand

What do you mean the GOP? They work both sides of the aisle.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2009/12/0082740

And they'll start working the WFP, should the day come when it's considered a legitimate threat.

In the meantime I've been cross-endorsing left and right. The Republidem oligarchy has to go.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored