Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#50907 - 03/22/10 09:08 PM Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
I'd be interested to know if anyone has any more information about this accident that Gail Blauer posted about over on rc.com:

linky

Sounds like a pretty crazy incident.

Here is what Gail posted:

Quote:
Actually I don't have any of the facts, but, this is what told to me by several people in the vacinity of the climb.

Climber was on Agape or Ape and Essence (near classic/Jackie). She was being lowered by her belayer who was above at the top of the first pitch. Belayer apparently was lowering her without the benefit of a belay device. It was stated that he was lowering her using a biner only (no munter). As she cleared the roof, the friction in the system became non existent and he dropped the climber. She hit the her non helmeted head and then hit the tree on her way down. Some people suggest that the tree actually slowed her down enough for her belayer to gain control of the rope. Her belayer caught her 5 feet off the deck.

It was said that the belayer had 2nd/3rd degree burns on his hands. The climber had a head laceration and a hurt hip.

Again, I only saw the victim being transported. I only heard this from several climbers who were nearby.

I hope climber is ok and that the belayer recovers the use of his hands (and gets a belay device).

Edited by SethG (03/22/10 10:29 PM)

#50908 - 03/22/10 09:33 PM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: SethG]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I dread this time of year when this stuff abounds. A friend also told me of an incident on Strictly where a climber was on TR and didn't have her harness on properly such that it actually fell down around her ankles somewhere near the crux. To make matters worse, the belayer then dropped the rope in order to solo up and save the day only to be saved himself by a nearby guide who intervened off a nearby climb. Wow! I may have some facts wrong as this is second hand info but it is astounding that no one got hurt, at least physically. As stated before, there was something to be said for the longer apprenticing approach that we learned BITD. You might not climb hard as fast, but you learned your systems and stayed off stuff until you knew what you were doing. Common sense isn't.
This was Saturday

Edited by chip (03/22/10 09:33 PM)

#50911 - 03/22/10 11:22 PM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: chip]
tw160504 Offline
stranger

I heard about the person almost decking, but no details.

I met the guy who put up the toprope for the couple. Her and her boyfriend wanted to climb with the guy. The couple wanted to do high e, but the guy told them they would kill themselves, and he wouldnt climb with them, so he put up a toprope on v3 and bounced. as he was leaving, walking down the trail he heard the girl screaming and ran back. he saw the harness falling off and ran down the cliff to the guides he knew. they came over and saved the couple. i think luck was on their side, having guides close by and not falling.

things like this is like going to the natural history museum, seeing Darwinism first hand, in action.

#50912 - 03/22/10 11:41 PM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: tw160504]
Chinakat Offline
stranger

Loc: Western NJ
I am pretty sure that quite a few of your facts are wrong on this particular event. There were 3 in the party to my knowledge: guy, girlfriend, and the woman who fell. The harness categorically did not "fall off" the woman who fell. I am one hundred percent certain of that, as I personally removed it from her as we got her onto the backboard, rather than let the ED cut it off. Among the 3 medical/paramedical personnel present, I think we all were fairly sure she wasn't as catastrophically injured as she might have been. I rather hope to hear some time that her outcome was good. As to what actually happened to cause the fall, I cannot say. I did not see the fall. My partner did and was shaken by the near miss of about 10ft off the deck. She also hit a tree on the way which helped slow her down, but was not wearing a helmet which bought her a nasty gash on the head.

#50913 - 03/23/10 02:08 AM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: Chinakat]
Jen Offline
stranger

Perhaps these (unbelievable as it may seem) are two separate incidents?

#50914 - 03/23/10 02:09 AM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: Jen]
tw160504 Offline
stranger

yes, two separate incidents

#50916 - 03/23/10 02:17 AM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: tw160504]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
It is quite clear from chip's post that he was talking about a different couple than the pair Gblauer posted about on rc.com. And then we learned from tw160504 that the second couple was actually on V3, not Strictly's. Or perhaps there are THREE couples, and two of them had their harnesses pop off.

Maybe that bad dad is right and there are people being carted off by ambulance every day at the Gunks.

#50918 - 03/23/10 04:51 AM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: tw160504]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: tw160504
things like this is like going to the natural history museum, seeing Darwinism first hand, in action.

I still recall something Bill Ravitch once said to me: "Don't be a witness."

#50920 - 03/23/10 11:48 AM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: MarcC]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Yes, these were separate incidents. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear. The story was told to me over the phone on Sunday morning by the man who set the TR on Strickly for them. He was concerned that they would need a directional for the traverse but they refused it so that he could get going with his gear. I had been puking and feverish all night (the reason I called him) but I'm not mistaken that I have written what I was told.
Perhaps Hank is monitoring and can straighten out any mis-understandings if the incidents were reported.
No matter how you look at it these were very preventable and Bill R. did have some wisdom in his day.

#50921 - 03/23/10 02:01 PM Re: Accident this Past Saturday, 3/20/10 [Re: chip]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
I was stuck with work in the city this weekend(as I will be next, and then off to Jtree - finally! My winter will be over!).

On Saturday I was like "THIS SUCKS!!!! I want to be at the Gunks!" but after reading this thread, I have to admit - it's not such a bad idea to sit out the season's first weekend of stellar weather.... hahahah.

Harness falling down - on Strickly crux! - is a really frightening bit of imagery for me. Holy crap.

Glad these incidents weren't any worst than they were.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored