Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51967 - 05/10/10 02:04 PM Black Diamond's future
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ

Edited by ShakesALot (05/10/10 02:05 PM)

#51968 - 05/10/10 02:11 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: ShakesALot]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Since Peter Metcalf continues to be CEO, current CEO of BD and future CEO of the merged company, in the short term I don't think its that bad. In the long term I don't know.

#51969 - 05/10/10 03:50 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: Chas]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Hopefully the merger will not cause BD to become less innovative, as can happen with additional layers of management/control.
Having the patent running out on Camalots, and who knows what else, they need to continue to develop new products. I'm still waiting for the instant stick on and removable bolt:-)

#51971 - 05/10/10 05:31 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: chip]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Interesting news. I assume the new owner will be pushing BD hard to get back his 90 million dollar investment. Will that lead to cutting corners, lack of investment in R&D, pushing more towards sales of higher-profit soft-goods, etc? Only time will tell.

GO

#51972 - 05/10/10 07:15 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: GOclimb]
climberism Offline

Any judgment is premature but we can assume that big changes are likely. The fact that Peter Metcalf is still CEO is encouraging but politics are just the beginning. Quote from Clarus Corp. "Based in Stamford, CT, Clarus Corporation is executing an asset redeployment strategy utilizing its cash resources to merge with an operating business or businesses that will serve as a platform company."

#51973 - 05/10/10 08:09 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: climberism]
Jeff D. Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, NJ
Clarus Corp was what is referred to as a business development company. Basically, they are a partially funded company with publicly traded equity. They function quite like a private equity investor, they raise capital and use it to acquire the operations of another company. Think of this as a way in which Peter can sell a portion of his stock for cash and at the same time provide future liquidity for more of the stock if he decides to sell. Interestingly enough, as a public company we will soon know much more about Black Diamond than we did previously...

#52035 - 05/16/10 10:46 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: Jeff D.]
EastVillage Offline

Loc: NYC
Allow me to quote myself from MP:

"Hmm, BD, now a publicly traded company? I guess that means that future any quarter where an "analyst" doesn't like the "growth" or "earnings" of the company can now speed the movement of all remaining US manufacturing to "lower cost" and "more efficient" countries.
"Clarus Corporation is a public company with no operations but strong financial resources."

Translate that into they haven't manufactured anything in their life and now they want to get into a business where the quality of the manufactured object is paramount. Sounds like a good fit to me!
Of course, this will result in no conflict with their new Wall Street driven mantra to eternally lower costs and increase profits. Sure no problem. I'm confident the analysts at Goldman Sachs get up to the Gunks now and then and have more than an intellectual appreciation for a well made piece of gear. Of course they do.
I bet all US manufactured BD gear is gone in 2 years."

I will now add: BD quality is Toast in the long run. Anything they make right now is the peak and all quality will inevitably decline.
BD, been nice to know you.

#52038 - 05/17/10 12:57 AM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: EastVillage]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Originally Posted By: EastVillage

I will now add: BD quality is Toast in the long run. Anything they make right now is the peak and all quality will inevitably decline.
BD, been nice to know you.

North Face, then Mountain Hardware, now BD. Say goodbye to another quality product.

TS

#52089 - 05/18/10 07:17 AM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: EastVillage]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: EastVillage
Allow me to quote myself from MP:

Translate that into they haven't manufactured anything in their life and now they want to get into a business where the quality of the manufactured object is paramount. Sounds like a good fit to me!

I bet all US manufactured BD gear is gone in 2 years."

actually according to the available info clarus was formerly in the personal protective equipment business...arguably one area where quality is at least as equally paramount as in climbing....

and bd gear is (was) already being manufactured in china....and before that when it was only being manufactured stateside it was often by the hands of "new" americans....not just climbers...its a big world...global economies...the days of made in the usa may not be over...but the meaning of the phrase isnt so clear anymore

word on the street is bd set this up to garner cash to pump up their clothing business....thats where the cash is anyway....no one gets rich selling climbing gear....you get rich selling overpriced tshirts and $100 pants....

#52090 - 05/18/10 12:40 PM Re: Black Diamond's future [Re: schwortz]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
The last time BD started selling clothing...Patagonia happened.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored