Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#5212 - 07/26/02 05:45 PM Bouldering in Ireland
Woot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: DE, formerly PA
I'll be travelling to Ireland in Sept, and was hoping to get in a little climbing. I doubt I'll be able to bring a ton of gear, so I've set the bar low and hope to get in some bouldering.

I've checked out the www.climbing.ie website, but I was hoping for some first-hand beta on bouldering.

I'll be near Dublin first, so I was thinking the Glendalough area (in Wicklow, south of Dublin). I'll also be in the Burren (Co. Clare), so I may get in a day of bouldering there. How's the bouldering in these areas?

If anyone has beta on these areas (or others nearby) let me know. Specific directions, problems (and how to find them), guidebooks (and where to get them) would be helpful. Any information would be helpful, really.

I'll also be in Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo in my travels, if there is any not-to-be-missed areas, let me know. Thanks!
-Woot

#5213 - 07/29/02 12:29 AM Re: Bouldering in Ireland [Re: Woot]
Frank Florence Online   content
addict

Loc: moved to Bend
I was in Ireland last summer and the best rock for climbing that I saw was in the Burren. That's limestone country and mostly flat, but there are short (10-20m), vertical ledge systems that offer plenty of bouldering. You'll see these from the coast road as you drive south from Ballyvaughn down to Fanore. Check out information from climbing.ie for descriptions to Ailladie.

Keep heading south to Doolin if you get out there. The pubs are reknowned for their traditional music. There's good surfing along that stretch of the coast, too. Definitely a part of the country worth more than one day if you can swing it.

By the way, if you get as far north as Galway, I recommend going up to Donegal county. We hiked and peak bagged up there every day for a week. Off the beaten track, friendly, and the highlight of our trip. There are easily obtained books on hikes and scrambles in the hills in that county. Virtually all are day trips and we didn't find a disappointing one.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored