Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5299 - 08/07/02 06:33 PM Trail Races
buzzardboy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
The last Sunday of each July, my friends and I always travel to Tannersville/Hunter for the Escarpment Trail Run. It's a 30k run over some of the most rugged and beautiful trail I've ever been on. During the race, you climb over seven Catskill Peaks, check out awesome vistas, never cross a road, and negotiate some of the most gnarly footing you can imagine. We always follow the race up with a day or two of climbing at the Gunks. Climbing is so much more fun after you've spent the previous day beating your quads and feet into oblivion:-)
Anyway, what other races are in the area that would add a little spice to a visit to the Gunks?

#5300 - 08/08/02 02:09 AM Re: Trail Races [Re: buzzardboy]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Leo:

It's been a few years since I ran the Escarpment Trail - it's probably wise to caution any would-be participants that this is a very tough race for its distance (at a time when I was running sub-3 hour marathons it took me nearly 4 1/2 hours to complete). More info (including qualifying standards) for those interested can be found at Escarpment Trail Run.

If you're looking for something close to the Gunks why not try the Pfaltz Point Trail Challenge which takes place on the Preserve in September? Info at Pfalz Point Trail Challenge.

GV

#5301 - 08/08/02 07:16 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: buzzardboy]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
buzzardboy,

The granddaddy of 'em all is the SOS - Survival of the Shawangunks. 30 mile road ride, then several swims and runs (and it's point to point, so you have to bring any/all gear with you) finishing at the Skytop Tower.

They have a website, I will post it here when I can locate it again, along with the date of the event. I am tentatively planning on doing it this year. I believe it's in Sept...

Edited to read: http://www.ulster.net/~sosnyta/ is the homepage, it is scheduled for Sunday, 9/15/02.

(ps - I have mt biked part of the Escarpment Trail - WOW, is that awesome! gnarly and exposed. finished up w/ a swim in either North or South Lake, I forget which)

Edited by MurphysLaw (08/08/02 07:22 PM)

#5302 - 08/08/02 07:39 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: MurphysLaw]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
thats awesome...doesn't even sound that bad for those non racer types

#5303 - 08/09/02 01:29 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: CrackBoy]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Problem is (and I only noticed this while reading 'the fine print'), is that they have a pre-requisite of any entrant having done a half-Ironman event w/in the previous 18 months , and completed it within certain time constraints.

As I have not done this, I plan on e-mailing them, to see if I can get a 'special exemption', based on my results in other events. Will advise all if they allow that sort of thing...

It does look like a really cool race!
(assuming you 'like' suffering for 5-7 hours! )

#5304 - 08/09/02 01:48 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: MurphysLaw]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
the only thing i dont think i could handle would be the swim..i hate swimming more than a cat

#5305 - 08/09/02 02:30 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: CrackBoy]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Messes your hair?

#5306 - 08/09/02 03:56 PM Re: Trail Races [Re: MurphysLaw]
buzzardboy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yes, I agree, the SOS looks awesome. I also have noticed the Half Iron Man requirement, that is kinda a bummer, because I have not done one either, however, I do a decent amount of swimming. Let me know how you make out with the "special exception" thing. I think their main concern is safety. The fact that you must swim after biking and running can be pretty demanding. Many times people cramp in the water after running because your body is dealing with extreme temp changes.

#5307 - 08/09/02 07:57 PM 2002 S.O.S. is CLOSED to registration [Re: buzzardboy]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

This year's SOS is CLOSED, there are only 150 spots, and apparently they're all gone...
Sorry to any if I got your hopes up. My bad.

I didn't get clarification (yet) about their 'flexibility' w/ the pre-requisites. I hope to hear back (at least for future reference) shortly....
(example: John Stamstad, ultra-endurance event stud, has probably never done a half-Ironman either. That's too short for him. I think they'd let him participate)

#5308 - 08/13/02 04:31 AM Re: 2002 Gunks.com SOS? [Re: MurphysLaw]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
what if we do our own, complete with climbing?
like ride our bikes somewhere south of millbrook with our gear, stash the bikes in some friends truck to get delivered back to us, climb a few routes en route to the nears then the trapps, over to coxing kill, then to LC then to peters kill, some more climbing, our bikes which we ride over to the far out traps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored