Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 34 of 36 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 >
Topic Options
#54944 - 09/16/10 04:59 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: RangerRob]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Cool. I've climbed and hiked around Bonticou a few times, so I've probably seen it. Have only climbed in the area sort of to the right of the trail that goes to the top, and as far downhill as that cave with the big overhanging roof though. Also poked around in the talus cave... that's not really my thing though, I've decided.

School takes a lot of time and what with the ruptured ligament in my hand and all I haven't really been climbing much so we'll see if I make it back to the gunks more than once or twice this year... I'll let you know next time we're in town though!

#54946 - 09/16/10 05:21 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: poseur]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Poseur, I don't have any answers to your recent questions but instead have a quick comment about the perspective of the study referenced upthread on the job creation and economic activity of MP, Sam's Point, Minnewaska State Park inspired tourism.

One perspective that could be enlightening would be how that activity compares with the rest of the job creation and economic activity in the area.

My comparisons used Ulster County because those are the only numbers readily available. Reducing the area of comparison to the eleven municipalities in the so called Shawangunk Mountains Regional Partnership would be more accurate but those numbers aren't readily available.

The reason I think such perspective would be enlightening is everyone else in the community makes a significant economic contribution, much more significant than tourism associated with the three entities listed above.

Oft times, when Preserve tactics are criticized some invoke Preserve related economic activity as a defense, as if to say the ends justify the means.

In my opinion, these ends don't justify the means.

#54948 - 09/16/10 05:28 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: Kent]
whatthegunks Offline

Loc: High Falls, NY
Rob, I don't know if you mean this Joe but I am fully psyched to visit Sunbowl with you this fall; Let's hit it! Had a great time exploring Lost City with you yesterday. How about "Orange Ya" for that route?

#54949 - 09/16/10 05:37 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: whatthegunks]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
I think he meant "my" Joe smile

#54950 - 09/16/10 06:12 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: Aya]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I'll climb with anyone named Joe, especially if they pull down as hard as WhatTheGunks!! Julie I will send you a note next time we plan on going out there.

#54954 - 09/16/10 08:39 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: RangerRob]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Way back in the day I went to Sunbowl with a good friend and his college climbing buddy, both of whom were pulling 12s and working on an FA they thought would go at 13. Doug eventually moved west and went as hard as 14s. The "warm-up" route was supposed to be a 9 but was certainly at least 10 and I couldn't get off the ground on their proj. Prolly didn't help that it was overcast and a high temp of 25F. Young and dumb...

#54975 - 09/17/10 07:28 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: Advocacy group]
ranger hank Offline

hey, i have a thought. how about an association for folks like me who have no meaningful work, hobbies, or relationships with others and kind of lurk around in the gunks... what would we call it?????(this is not a troll!)

hank alicandri

#54976 - 09/17/10 07:34 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: ranger hank]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Skinks sounds like fitting name to me, Hank. They keep the bugs under control, as well as keeping me company sometimes on ledges. 'Course, I'm not implying that your neck is short, you have a long tongue, or anything like that.

#55019 - 09/20/10 12:59 AM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: RangerRob]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
RR,

You said: "Advo, what is INHERENTLY wrong with building a house on a .4 acre lot? Is that worse or better than building a house on a 10 acre lot? Which fragments the ecosytem more? Would you rather have 50 homes in a 25 acre footprint, or 50 homes in a 500 acre footprint? Which do you think would fragment wildlife corridors more? Which would carve up the landscape more?

It sounds like you look down upon anyone who can't afford a 30 acre wooded lot in the Town of Gardiner, adjoining the Preserve. It sounds like you look down upon anyone who can't afford to hire a licensed land surveyor to survey their property because YOU want them to. It sounds like you look down upon a lot of people who may not be as well off as you."

Rob your math is way fuzzy and it sounds like you are pretty sensitive about money so with that in mind here is what is offered. First off Marc and others have been highly critical of the way neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve use their land. It's hypocritical to live on a .40 acre lot and tell others that development is bad. Municipalities across the country are all zoning larger lot sizes because they feel it's better for their respective towns. It is better in fact to build a house on 10 acre zoning than .40 acre zoning because a developer can but more houses in with .40 acre zoning therefor fragmenting the ecosystem more. As a state forest ranger you should know this, your above example makes no sense...Thanks.

MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#55020 - 09/20/10 01:10 AM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation [Re: poseur]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Originally Posted By: poseur
Apologies for revisiting an issue, but I don't think it was resolved.

I am interested in the facts of Louise Haviland being foreclosed upon.

There was some back and forth of when MP aquired the property, who constitues the 'seller' and what the definition of 'willing' is, but was there an easement that she violated by subdividing the property which prompted the foreclosure?

And can anyone, whether those in MPNA's corner or from the opposition, please explain why it makes a difference who the plaintiff is and why should it matter who prevails in court?

Isn't a court of law supposed to decide, based on law, who has the stronger claim and that the fact it has gone to trial is at least a tacit admission there are some merits to the case?

It seems to me that any court case involving a big guy against an average Joe can easily be spun to make the big guy appear in a poor light.

If the big man is suing the little guy, then it's just another case of using legal muscle to bully the little guy, and if the little guy sues the big guy then it's because the big guy is such a bully that the only recourse is for a court to force them to play nicely.

Poseur,

We'll try and get the info for you this week regarding the Haviland parcel. The Mohonk Preserve has always been the Plaintiff against adjoining landowners of the Preserve with regard to lawsuits involving land. Thanks.

MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

Page 34 of 36 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored