Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#51303 - 04/15/10 02:10 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: december]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
December, I'm hitting Belleayre on Sunday. The webcams from Hunter right before they closed didn't look very good. Photos from Powderbroker's trip to Belleayre, however, showed better coverage...

#51315 - 04/15/10 09:32 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Welle]
december Offline
stranger

welle, thanks for heads up on location, i haven't been to belleayre in years, but maybe i'll check it out on saturday, the weathers not looking good at all for saturday...sunday am might be good (snow?)

#51317 - 04/15/10 09:58 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: december]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

couple of times I was in Belleayre this year, it was snowing on the mountain, while it was raining everywhere else. I'm hoping there'll be some nice dusting for Sunday am!

#51350 - 04/16/10 11:48 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Welle]
powderbroker Offline
stranger

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that there was a ton of snow at the top across the whole ridge. If you don't mind hiking for mini golf, you could probably make a nice morning of all those 300 ft shots, and if you get lucky maybe they'll be powder turns.

If they get a little rain first it might not be the worst thing anyway, those moguls were getting H U G E.

Have fun out there for me, I'm bummed my weekend does not include skiing.

#51354 - 04/17/10 01:53 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: powderbroker]
december Offline
stranger

nice!!!...thanks for the update, you made my night (packing up now)
hopefully I will have some info after tomorrow to pass on too...

last thing, your talking about belleayre?

#51376 - 04/18/10 01:03 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: december]
december Offline
stranger

...i was desperate to do some yo-yo riding, and I got lucky, no rain today,light flurries all day, real fun hike...rode the same patches a bunch of times...never made it to belleayre, only hunter, and wasted so much time messing around halfpipe never venture up to tower...some natural snow showing up at the real peak, but looked sporadic, peeked over hunter west didn't look great, but spoke to skiier in the lot said they had fun in there...hope I'm not naming dropping to much...super fun day..best of luck welle

#51377 - 04/18/10 01:06 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: december]
december Offline
stranger

summit at colonel's chair had very little snow, below it was better

#51383 - 04/18/10 07:58 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: december]
powderbroker Offline
stranger

december, i was actually talking about Belleayre. Their season went a week longer then Hunters, and they had an impressive amount of terrain open.

#51396 - 04/19/10 12:31 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: powderbroker]
cfrac Offline
addict

We went up to Belleayre Sunday (4/18) and the snow was in great condition, firm underneath and soft on top. We were able to ski the run to the right of the high speed quad (hikers right) from top to bottom though there was one narrow shot near the bottom.
Here's some video from yesterday: Belleayre Video

Most of the other runs are broken up by a lot of grass.
Hey Welle, did we meet you at the summit lodge?
Chris

#51407 - 04/19/10 02:24 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: cfrac]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Hey, Chris.
Yeah, it was me with my friends - nice to meet both of you and your dog. We rode down Onteora and Mohawk - they both have top to bottom coverage. You can ride Mohawk all the way starting from the bump in front of the ski patrol shack down to the parking lot in front of the Overlook lodge(aim skier's right to get over a small grass patch at the top) - maximum vertical!! Conditions started icy in the morning and turned into slush in the afternoon. It was raining at the mid-lodge and snowing (rather heavily) on the summit. Fun day!
Here is a look at one of the runs:

Dolgio

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored