Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#53900 - 08/16/10 08:37 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: Rickster]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Nothing south of the Adirondacks as far as rock climbing goes. Any legal climbing in the Gunks is administered ($$$) by either the Mohonk Preserve or PIPC. RC

If I'm not mistaken, Witch's Hole is State Forest. But it's way out there, undocumented, and far from rescue. I've been planning on taking a hike up there, but haven't been yet.

And some land south of 52 which is also State Forest which someone mentioned had some bouldering (but I haven't found it yet).

Edited by quanto_the_mad (08/16/10 08:46 PM)

#53902 - 08/16/10 09:31 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad

If I'm not mistaken, Witch's Hole is State Forest. But it's way out there, undocumented, and far from rescue. I've been planning on taking a hike up there, but haven't been yet.

And some land south of 52 which is also State Forest which someone mentioned had some bouldering (but I haven't found it yet).

Sure, but would you send an infrequent visitor out to these areas? Areas that even most locals don't know about?
RC

Edited by Rickster (08/16/10 09:33 PM)

#53909 - 08/17/10 12:56 AM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: Julie]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Originally Posted By: Julie
To be specific - you park for Lost City at the Split Rock lot, which is most often manned by a MP attendant to check for a day pass.

Isn't this rich, someone told Julie where to park for lost city, how about getting her the rest of the way there?
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#53914 - 08/17/10 03:50 AM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: Advocacy group]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Great..are we going to let the secret out that High E is completely overrated too?

Just FYI Advoman...Lost City isn't exactly lost. It's location is mapped out in Gunks guidebooks.

#53937 - 08/17/10 03:52 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: Rickster]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad

Sure, but would you send an infrequent visitor out to these areas? Areas that even most locals don't know about?
RC

No, I wouldn't necessarily send anyone to Witche's Hole. Then again, I wouldn't send an infrequent visitor to Lost City either. But as the OP asks about LC, and free areas nearby, I think it's worth mentioning that there are free areas near the Gunks, certainly south of the Dacks.

#53978 - 08/18/10 10:42 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: Advocacy group]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Originally Posted By: Advocacy group
Originally Posted By: Julie
To be specific - you park for Lost City at the Split Rock lot, which is most often manned by a MP attendant to check for a day pass.

Isn't this rich, someone told Julie where to park for lost city, how about getting her the rest of the way there?

Isn't it funny how Advocacy seems to be real familiar with the old Julie vs. Lost City issue? That thread died, what, a year before AG signed on to g.com.

C'mon Advocacy, time to peel away the veil and show your - undoubtedly familiar - face.

#53984 - 08/19/10 02:43 AM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: RangerRob]
climberism Offline

Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Yes you need to pay a dee fee to go to Lost City, but why would want to climb there? It's a dirty, loose, undocumented choss heap populated by locals who scheme to keep visitors away from it. besides, there's nothing easy to climb there anyway. It's all hard and unportected.

Got a chuckle out of this one. It really works against the locals trying to keep visitors out of there with all their whispers, and sour attitudes. The climbing isn't that great, and there is much better to be had in the area. Let the hard routes do their job, they on their own will keep people away...

If I remember correctly doesn't the sign near the bathroom at The Trapps say something along the lines of "suggested or optional donataion for day use?" I could be wrong but I believe it is along those words. I always wondered about that...

#54022 - 08/19/10 04:25 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: climberism]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Locals aren't trying to keep visitors out of LC. We are trying to keep it undocumented, as per the request of the Preserve.

What keeps most people away from LC is
1. said lack of documentation
2. the hike "up"
3. lack of parking
4. plenty of good climbing in documented areas

though in what specific order depends on who you ask.

#54037 - 08/19/10 07:03 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
climberism Offline

Your right, it is shown on maps and locals aren't trying to keep people out of there. But any unfamiliar face or guiding up there doesn't get the best vibe from others... Either way I don't care to get into this discussion, its been had already. If the guy wants to climb at LC, then by all means. There is just better climbing, like you said "in documented areas" and that's just opinion for what its worth.

That being said, climbing looks good for the next few days and I'll be hanging from doubles, with a pbr in my hand!

#54040 - 08/19/10 07:24 PM Re: is a day pass needed for lost city? [Re: climberism]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
PBR!!! Man I'm thristy all of a sudden

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored