Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#47749 - 09/01/09 02:02 PM Salomon Shoes
Allenperry Offline

Loc: Reading, Pennsylvania
I've been running in a pair of XA Pro 3-D's and I love them. They're very low to the ground and perform excellent on trails. (These and taping have eased my worries about ankle sprains)

However, the forefoot cushioning is a little light and I'm concerned about an upcoming 50k. Has anyone tried the Salomon XT Wings? They appear to have more forefoot cushioning, but also look higher in the heel, which concerns me. Maybe I'll get a new pair of Pro 3-D's before the race and be done with it.

#47770 - 09/02/09 07:27 PM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: Allenperry]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
I'm all about the Salomons. The XT Wings definitely have more cushion, way more comfortable when you're not purely on trail (ie say the carriage road at the gunks, or pavement, or whatever else is a little more packed down and hard).

#47771 - 09/03/09 01:13 AM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: Aya]
Allenperry Offline

Originally Posted By: Aya
I'm all about the Salomons. The XT Wings definitely have more cushion, way more comfortable when you're not purely on trail (ie say the carriage road at the gunks, or pavement, or whatever else is a little more packed down and hard).

Your observation is a good one. If I'm on the carriage road type surface I'll probably need the XT Wings too.

#53913 - 08/17/10 03:12 AM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: Allenperry]
Allenperry Offline

Quick update: I've been running with the Xa Pro 3D Ultras. Mostly around Blue Marsh Lake, a lot of single track, dirt. I got a pair of XA Pro 5's and while they have more cushioning, I immediately started getting blisters on my upper achilles after a couple miles. Never happened with the others.

The cushioning is better on the shoe, though I really didn't mind the XA 3D cushioning.

I'll probably modify the point on the shoe that's rubbing and live with it.

#53956 - 08/18/10 03:06 AM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: Allenperry]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Which 50K are you running? I have the Wings and have run up to 50K in them. I love the toggle lacing and found the cushioning to be just enough without making the shoe heavy.
I am also breaking into the Inov8's as they are SO light. Not sure how they would be over continuous rocky ground but on dirt they are very nice.

#53959 - 08/18/10 01:26 PM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: The Lisa]
Allenperry Offline

Originally Posted By: The Lisa
Which 50K are you running? I have the Wings and have run up to 50K in them.

I'll probably do the Blue Cruise, http://www.bluescruiseultra.com, again. Last year I badly sprained/cracked my ankle 2 weeks before the race (2nd ankle injury injury in 3 months). I had it so heavily taped it was like running in a cast. It was stupid. But I had fun, albeit painful, fun!

I think I'm going to get some Wings too. Ironically, I have a pair of Wings I bought on ebay last month, but I can't wear them. They sent me two different sizes and then refunded my money and told me to keep them! That's when I bought the XA PRO 5's.

#54068 - 08/20/10 03:41 AM Re: Salomon Shoes [Re: Allenperry]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Oh yes Blue Marsh, nice! Enjoy running it injury free this time.

#59483 - 08/04/11 09:12 PM Re: Salomon Shoes - Great Deal [Re: Allenperry]
Allenperry Offline

Check out runningwarehouse.com for a great deal.

Enter rwaug11 in the coupon code section for an additional 10 percent. I found that at coupon cabin as I was checking out.

I just bought a pair of S-Lab 4's for $115 and free two day shipping. Whoohoo.

No - I don't work for Salomon. Yes - I am a confirmed junkie for their shoes.

They also have XA Pro 5's for 69.88 before coupon and free shipping. Size 9.5 - 12. I already have a pair of these and a couple pairs of xt wings, so I'm giving the S-labs a go.

#59523 - 08/05/11 11:43 PM Re: Salomon Shoes - Great Deal [Re: Allenperry]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
shit I'd be all over that if I hadn't justbought a new pair of barn boots. darn

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored