Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#5399 - 08/22/02 04:41 AM Trap Dike
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
My partner and I will be venturing off to the Dacks for our first time climbing up there. The plan is to check out Chapel Pond and attempt Regular Route, and Empress on Saturday. Sunday we want to do the Trap Dike. ANY helpful beta for what to expect on this climb would be really appreciated. As an added bonus if we complete the Trap Dike I will have done my first peak!

Daryl

p.s. I've never been on a slab before so any helpful advice for Chapel Pond would be good too.

#5400 - 08/22/02 06:46 AM Re: Trap Dike [Re: daryl512]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Trap Dike, about a five mile walk to Avalanche Lake and the start of the climb. You will need to walk along the right hand side of the lake all the way around and back north on the opposite side to get to the Dike. When you are walking check out the rock routes that start on the wooden bridges (also known as Hitch em up Matildas)

Avalanche Pass is a pretty special place.

Last year there was a bit of a hurd path from the south end of the lake to the start of the dike, but, you can pretty much just follow the shoreline.

There are two steps inside the trap dike. The second step has about 30 feet of 5.0 that is easy unless it is wet which unless it has been raining hard there shouldn't be this time of year. The consequences of a fall here are semi-serious (broken leg, far from rescue, etc) so, take care.

DO NOT exit the dike immediately after the second step unless you want some five threeish slab climbing. Keep going up the dike until it becomes easy and obvious on where to bust out right onto the slab. Once on the slab it is just steep hiking on beautiful featured rock and mostly a straight line to the summit. If you were feeling queasy about the steep hiking on rock you could probably work from tree island to tree island to feel secure about it.

Return via the Lake Arnold side for a bit of a tedious walk home or down the "new" slide on the other side of Colden for extra credit.

Some people rope for the short section in the dike and for getting onto the slab, but we didn't feel the need to.

Sticky rubber approach shoes are perfect for this climb.

Have fun, the Trap Dike is a SUPERB day hike that is somewhere in between dirt path hiking and fifth class climbing. If I wasn't just getting back from Switzerland on Saturday I would ask if I could join you on the Dike

You should see that place in the winter- talk about heaven, ice ice every where! Steep ice, not steep ice, thin ice, thick ice.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored