Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5417 - 08/23/02 11:16 PM shoes
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Wear special shoes for trail running?
I bought a pair a few years ago and used them a total of 10 times.
Im not much of a runner but am always trying to fit cross training in between boulder burns.

Just curious what REAL runners wear.

#5418 - 08/26/02 01:00 PM Re: shoes [Re: Chooch]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Salomon Raid Race is my favorite.
Used a lot by competitors in the eco-challenge races. Has a plastic piece on the back of the heel which really helps with side to side support. Kevlar "one pull" lace system (shoes can't come untied).

#5419 - 08/26/02 06:32 PM Re: shoes [Re: Chooch]
buzzardboy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
This is a difficult question to answer. You will probably have to try some shoes out till you find what works best for you. Trail shoes offer a lot of protection for running on gnarly terrain, but you sometimes lose some "sensitivity". I guess it's kinda like wearing a condom. Many people I know run the most rugged of trails in road shoes because they like the "feel" they provide. I think Montrail makes the best trail specific running shoes. They have several different models. I like the Vitesse--it offers a lot of protection but it's still light. Also, Montrails fit is second to none. You just have to experiment. Kevin Setnes, an unltra-running guru who does a lot of writing on the subject calls us all, "an experiment of one."

#5420 - 08/29/02 09:55 PM Re: shoes [Re: Chooch]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
I was thinking about getting the Salomon Raids, but wound up with the top end North Face trail runners. Very good shoes. But I do a lot of mountain running/hiking in them and they are starting to get beat to hell. Time for a new pair -- and I'm thinking of getting the Raid Races. Though I was hoping they were coming out with a higher ankle version -- it was in a few catalogues -- but apparently the shoe has gone back to the drawing board.

#5421 - 07/18/03 02:22 PM Re: shoes [Re: Chooch]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Chooh, can't answer what a real runner would wear since I'm only a two bit hacker (except my wife says I'm a decent runner but a two bit hacker climber- damn her). For trail running I just wear my road shoes (Nike Pegasus). Always have, and probably always will. Just have an extra pair for trail running.

#5422 - 07/28/03 05:39 PM Re: shoes [Re: Chas]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I've run 100 milers in 5.10 mountain masters and regular adidas running shoes; i've run a 50 miler in birkenstocks. My fastest marathon was in them little 5 oz. New balance RC150's, though I ran one only about 2 minutes slower in a pair of borrowed trainers (though at the time 2 minutes was the difference between finishing in and out of the money).

I've never actually owned a pair of "trail running" shoes, they're just marketing and hype. Just like with everything else pertaining to any sort of activity, just find something that fits.

#5423 - 07/28/03 05:49 PM Re: shoes [Re: tico]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:

I've run 100 milers in 5.10 mountain masters and regular adidas running shoes; i've run a 50 miler in birkenstocks. My fastest marathon was in them little 5 oz. New balance RC150's, though I ran one only about 2 minutes slower in a pair of borrowed trainers (though at the time 2 minutes was the difference between finishing in and out of the money).

Yes, but clearly you are not normal. We'll be needing you to help fight off the computers after the war of the clones.

#5424 - 08/07/03 11:23 PM Re: shoes [Re: tico]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:

I've never actually owned a pair of "trail running" shoes, they're just marketing and hype. Just like with everything else pertaining to any sort of activity, just find something that fits.

Sounds to me like your feet are made of Kevlar.

I agree with you in general -- it's the fit that matters the most and, generally, experienced runners can run in almost anything.

But it's also important to remember that everybody has different feet and different physiology. My wife has really high arches and for any sort of rugged hiking she needs more than just a light weight hiker. My feet are flat and can take a fair pounding in most shoes, but I can tell the difference between different kinds of shoes. And terrain makes a big difference as well. The trails I run in the San Gabriels start off fairly sandy and then become progressively rockier as you gain altitude. And of course, mileage makes a big difference as well. I can hike 6-7 miles in my Guide Almightys, but around mile 10 my feet start to feel like mush. Trail running shoes are not just hype and marketing. There will be some differences between them and a basic running shoe -- most signifcantly torsional stiffness across the sole -- and the heel will be usually be cut lower to the ground to keep the ankle from turning.

I've liked the North Face Ultra 100s so much I bought another pair after the first ones wore out.

#5425 - 08/11/03 05:46 PM Re: shoes [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I've found there is really only one feature found in trail shoes that is not found in a "road" shoe, that's some sort of foot-plate for preventing stone bruises. The hype and marketing is making people think they need a trail shoe (with it's dark color and aggressive lugs) rather than a properly fitting road shoe. The torsional stability difference between shoe of the same genre are negligable.

Not only did I do my 140 mile weeks, but I also worked in a running shoe store for a couple of years. Granted, this was some years ago (before this whole outdoor boom), but I still feel that for the average runner, it doesn't matter if they're in a trail shoe or not. And things like flat feet (i have zero arch) or high arches don't have to be detriments; the weakness they're a symptom of can be erased with a gradual, progressive system of training. Like i "fixed" my flat feet with a lot of barefoot running.

#5426 - 08/12/03 01:48 AM Re: shoes [Re: tico]
cranken Offline

Loc: the south, the north, the east...
So tico, do you know some brands that have the build-up to prevent the fatigue and beating that the stones (and other trail oddities) give my feet?

I love to trail run far more than flatland but my feet take a beating from the stones underfoot and my ankles are often sore.

I agree that most trail runners I pick up seem just like special marketed regular runners.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored