Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54508 - 09/03/10 01:29 AM Digital Camera for climbing
Adk_Jeff Offline
stranger

We lost our digital camera on vacation, so we're in the market for a replacement. Any recommendations for a digital camera suitable for climbing and skiing photos, with the following criteria:
- Affordable, < $300
- Durable /rugged
- No or minimal shutter delay
- Sharp photos
Appreciate any suggestions.

#54518 - 09/03/10 11:28 AM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Adk_Jeff]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Canon powershot is a great option.
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#54519 - 09/03/10 11:41 AM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Adk_Jeff]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Check out this website.

#54520 - 09/03/10 11:44 AM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Advocacy group]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Jeff,
Be very careful of Canon Powershots. We've had three. All suffered the same fate. Only one was still under warantee. The plastic gears responsible for lens movement often wear out prematurely, or get misaligned. After googling the problem, we found that this was way too common to ever justify the purchase again. While fine cameras in every other regard, the "lens error" isn't worth the trouble or the risk of not getting your shot. I do like my Canon G10, however, it is costlier, bigger, and only goes down to F8. Look to new and improved G11. Olympus Stylus Tough series of cameras are worth looking at with waterproof, and shockproof features that may prove just the thing. Some of the models are within your suggested price range. Good luck, RC

#54527 - 09/03/10 02:42 PM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Rickster]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
While just above your stated price range, I've really enjoyed a Sony Cybershot for 6-7 years. It is very slim and easy to move in and out of a pocket and then operate one handed while belaying. Unfortunately, I recently mis-placed it and might need to get another.

#54529 - 09/03/10 03:01 PM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Adk_Jeff]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Read this article first, then maybe look at the other stuff on his site.

#54530 - 09/03/10 03:31 PM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: MarcC
Wow! The author of this page is highly opinionated and seems to pull no punches. Not to say he's wrong about anything, but this is quite some writing style. I'd bet there are those who'd dispute him however.

#54531 - 09/03/10 04:23 PM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: Rickster]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Originally Posted By: Rickster
I do like my Canon G10, however, it ... only goes down to F8

This is not actually a big deal. The problem with point and shoot digital cameras is the lens is so small, the sensor is so small... at that sensor size, if the lens stopped down further, it would introduce diffraction effects that would be detrimental to picture quality. You can already start to notice this when taking shots at f8.

Moreover, I've found that the midrange Powershot models (we have an SX20, which is maybe overkill for our usage) have more than enough dynamic range to handle VERY bright light... tested and confirmed on plenty of snowfields: http://picasaweb.google.com/sharkface7/Apr24MTW#

If you want to stop down further, the only reason I can think of is you're trying to take photos of waterfalls in daylight... for that, you really need an ND filter anyway. I think the G11 has one built in but it's often possible to slap one on the front (various models have aftermarket filter adapters available, too)

#54533 - 09/03/10 05:30 PM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: pedestrian]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
It's the depth of field that I miss limited to F8, but it's manageable. F8 just doesn't cut it when up close to subject matter and trying to bring in some reference background or foreground, or even the entire subject into sharp or even acceptable focus. When I really must have it I'll go with my D80. RC

#54543 - 09/04/10 09:48 AM Re: Digital Camera for climbing [Re: oenophore]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: oenophore
Originally Posted By: MarcC
Wow! The author of this page is highly opinionated and seems to pull no punches. Not to say he's wrong about anything, but this is quite some writing style. I'd bet there are those who'd dispute him however.

LoL... yeah, go to google and type

Ken Rockwell is

and check out the suggestions (meaning don't hit enter, just wait and google will pop up what other people have searched for)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored