Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#5487 - 08/28/02 03:04 PM AT, south to north/north to south
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
beginning to plan the thru hike 0f 2004
wonderin if anyone out there has done it from maine to georgia rather than the reverse.If so, when did you start ?
im wondering if theres any way to beat the heat,bugs,crowds etc by doing it this way starting in the late summer rather than early spring?thanks

#5488 - 08/28/02 04:58 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to soutrh [Re: charliebutters]
buzzardboy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I know there are people who start in Maine, however, I beleive that going North to South is much more involved than the reverse. I do not know many specifics, however, a good outdoor store should have books on the AT, and specifically, thru-hiking.

#5489 - 08/29/02 12:03 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: charliebutters]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You might want to check out the Appalachian Trail Conference as a source of information.

According to their website fewer than 400 people have reported completion of the A.T. southbound. Plenty more information on the site (generally inferring that the North to South trip is not for the faint-hearted). The ATC also sells all manner of guide books, etc. (discounted to members, and it's only $30 to belong).

Hope this helps.

GV

Edited by GeeVee (08/29/02 12:10 PM)

#5490 - 09/01/02 10:51 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: charliebutters]
Judge11 Offline
old hand

I believe one of the reasons most don't do north-south is the stout hike in to the start on Mt. Katahdin. That, plus the weather...Katahdin in the spring can be just like winter.
In the six months (give or take) it may take to do the AT, starting at Springer Mt. in Georgia in the spring and trying to end no later than mid-October on Katahdin so you aren't snowed out (or in) makes alot of sense. It can get icy in the mountains of northern Maine in October.

Can you imagine reaching several miles from end of an awesomely wonderful six-month sojourn only to be turned back by bad weather.

Talk about a bummer...

#5491 - 09/25/02 05:14 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: Judge11]
SuperG Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I met a family with two young girls around 10 that did N to S in the winter. It can be done but it's more difficult. If you are doing the trip alone it would be better IMO to go S-N with the masses to meet people to hike with and camp with etc. I haven't done the AT but from friends that have and people I've met on the trail the mental aspect is harder than the physical, so making friends to hike with and stop in town to share a beer could be the difference. Have fun.

#5492 - 10/04/02 06:57 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: SuperG]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
thanks,i talked to someone who completed north to south recently and highly recommended it.
less crowds and crowded shelters, start later in summer/ early fall avoiding heat and bugs
complete the hardest states first/maine and new hampshire(yikes)
i plan to do this with some friends and perhaps a dog,anyone ever go on extended backpacking trips with a dog?
peace

#5493 - 10/08/02 11:18 AM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: charliebutters]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Charlie

Baxter St Park in Maine does not allow dogs.
They are very strict about this too so you may have to pick up dog on route.

Cheers
Fred

#5494 - 10/29/02 07:05 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Besides Baxter, there are other locales that do not allow dogs as well. Other stuff to consider is above tree-line travel and how the dog reacts to other animals - not just chipmunks and deer but bears and boars.

You might want to start researching the issues at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/activities/backpacking/

#5495 - 11/14/02 09:03 PM Re: AT, south to north/north to south [Re: charliebutters]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
A guy I sorta know recently finished the N-S hike. There's a few maps showing where he called his mom to update the site, plus a few comments on the board through the trip.

Jay's AT Hike

Started June 1st, finished November 5th, he made great time.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored