Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#55372 - 09/30/10 08:52 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
yes, it's been proven many times! In fact, you can do it yourself. next time you are in a crowded room say something like "Look at that beautiful girl!". Men will turn heads and will still go "where?", women will tell you what color her dress is without a slightest headturn.

#55373 - 09/30/10 09:13 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: Welle]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
But is this due to different ocular hardware or due to different behavior?

yes, it's been proven many times!

What journal article can you cite?

Anyway, peripheral vision doesn't take in details but is rather sensitive to motion, for an obvious reason. One's eyeballs must be pointed at an object for maximum detail pickup, thanks to the "high definition" fovea centralis at the retinal center. This enables one to gaze at the part of a body one most relishes.

#55375 - 09/30/10 10:50 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Originally Posted By: oenophore
But is this due to different ocular hardware or due to different behavior?

yes, it's been proven many times!

What journal article can you cite?

Anyway, peripheral vision doesn't take in details but is rather sensitive to motion, for an obvious reason. One's eyeballs must be pointed at an object for maximum detail pickup, thanks to the "high definition" fovea centralis at the retinal center. This enables one to gaze at the part of a body one most relishes.

Peripheral vision is much more effective in low light situations. If you look off-center at something in the dark you will see it much better than if you put it in the center of your vision.

#55383 - 10/01/10 05:21 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: chip]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
It's a little old, but here's one that says there's a difference, at least in the vertical range. Not sure about the horizontal.

"Current learning theories stress input or the sensory apparatus as an important facet of learning and performance. The present study investigated the differences between athletes and nonathletes on vertical and horizontal vision and the relationship between sex and field of vision in both the athlete and nonathlete. The subjects were 132 Florida State University students. There were 53 male athletes, 29 female athletes, 25 male nonathletes and 25 female nonathletes. The subjects maximum field of vision was tested with a standard Bausch and Lomb perimeter whose depth measured 13 in. The results of the ANOVA support the hypothesis that both the vertical and horizontal fields of vision are superior for athletes compared to nonathletes. In addition, there are no sex differences within athletes and nonathletes except in the visual range. Females demonstrated greater high vertical range of vision."

Vertical and horizontal peripheral vision in male and female athletes and nonathletes.
Research Quarterly, Vol. 46, No. 2. (May 1975), pp. 200-205.
by J. M. Williams, J. Thirer

#55386 - 10/03/10 02:44 AM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is hard to believe that somehow AG isn't able to bastardize this thread as well into an attack on the Mohonk Preserve, yet. Speaking for myself, the diatribe continues to push me further away from this site despite my best attempts not to let it. Destroying the enjoyment I've experienced for quite a while from this site is not something I take lightly.
I can't wait to make another contribution to the preserve. It will not be a small one. F Off, MPNA.

#55387 - 10/03/10 10:30 AM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Are we to conclude from Quanto's excerpt that since women possess a greater vertical visual range than men, the former do not need to point eyes at men in order to ogle them?

#55408 - 10/04/10 07:30 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Reality Check: Sitting in Cafeteria presently, and not one female in the place is overweight. Nor any of the makes. Most are attractive enough to garner at least a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, and some are even (gasp) having interesting conversations with others.

While I realize this is not precisely the same demographic as the "street scene," the variation from the OP makes me wonder if they might not have simply been having a bad dream. Or maybe one bad apple spoiled the whole bunch, and they couldn't see the forest for the trees, or something.

#55416 - 10/04/10 08:31 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: TerrieM]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Terrie, I am always stunned by the dramatic difference when I am visiting somewhere like Colorado or Utah compared to the east in the body shape differences. I am not one to talk, as I am overweight. Endomorph, mesomorph and ectomorph scales not withstanding, the east is definitely fatter.
Are you in a cafeteria in Colorado Springs, Boulder or Yosemite?

#55418 - 10/04/10 09:20 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: chip]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
hahah - nope, though I do wish it so, since it's rain, rain, rain in the forecast here.

#55420 - 10/04/10 10:09 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: chip]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
Originally Posted By: chip
Terrie, I am always stunned by the dramatic difference when I am visiting somewhere like Colorado or Utah compared to the east in the body shape differences. I am not one to talk, as I am overweight. Endomorph, mesomorph and ectomorph scales not withstanding, the east is definitely fatter.
Are you in a cafeteria in Colorado Springs, Boulder or Yosemite?

Your perspective is seriously skewed - you need to stop taking climbing/skiing vacations and go fishing/boating/laying-on-the-beach. Or if you go to a climbing destination, make sure to take yourself out of the dirtbag bubble once in a while. Say if you are in Tetons, make sure to drive an hour north and hang out around Old Faithful - the difference in the waist circumference is astounding.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Sponsored