Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#55421 - 10/04/10 10:31 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: Welle]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Just spend time at the cheap buffets in Vegas. You wanna see fat, ugly Americans, Vegas is the place to go!

#55423 - 10/04/10 11:05 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Just spend time at the cheap buffets in Vegas. You wanna see fat, ugly Americans, Vegas is the place to go!
I think some guys would like to know where to be found the opposite of that, where eyes bulge at the sight of anatomic perfection without paying a cent for it.

#55426 - 10/05/10 01:08 AM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I first noticed the difference when I was travelling to Colorado Springs regularly to help with the Olympic Committee. I could not find a fatty in the entire city! Sure there are those who are heavy anywhere you go, but I would love to see a study comparing places like that to the rest of the U.S. There are unquestionably towns that people have moved to in order to enjoy the out of doors and these places stand out dramaticly. Think about Mammoth, Moab, Park City, Boulder, etc. New Paltz used to be one of them as well until 9/1/1 sent so many scurrying north to Gardiner and N.P. and the huge college growth has also diluted the pool of locals on Main Street.

#55428 - 10/05/10 09:59 AM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: chip]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would love to see a study comparing places like that to the rest of the U.S.

Here it is for all you fat *&&%$#@#s to see.

#55430 - 10/05/10 12:23 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
SkurdeyCat Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

Worse that the Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, WV? Not possible!
BTW, the following Friday night in town was just as bad, I wasn't imagining it, people are visibly getting fatter.

A part of me hopes that as this gets worse, the problem of people needing so much medical care due to obesity will reach a tipping point where they will simply die younger, thereby solving the medicare funding problem for the rest...

#55431 - 10/05/10 12:26 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
SkurdeyCat Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: oenophore
I would love to see a study comparing places like that to the rest of the U.S.

Here it is for all you fat *&&%$#@#s to see.

Wow, Colorado stands out once again! One more reason to go there.

#55433 - 10/05/10 01:41 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: SkurdeyCat]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
The map of obesity by county is especially revealing. Nice job pulling up the study for us.

#55434 - 10/05/10 01:51 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: SkurdeyCat]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
Originally Posted By: SkurdeyCat

A part of me hopes that as this gets worse, the problem of people needing so much medical care due to obesity will reach a tipping point where they will simply die younger, thereby solving the medicare funding problem for the rest...

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's something like roughly 80% of healthcare costs are spent during the last 10 years of a person's life. With the growing rate of obesity, that tipping point is getting pushed to earlier ages as younger obese people are getting plagued by chronic ailments such as diabetes and heart disease. As the trend continues, the most lucrative biz is going to be kidney dialysis - we could probably put a machine at the base of the cliffs and make money!

#55436 - 10/05/10 04:56 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: chip]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chip
The map of obesity by county is especially revealing. Nice job pulling up the study for us.
Thanks. Note that Ulster County is in the mediocre obesity range.

#55441 - 10/06/10 12:21 PM Re: Declining New Paltz street scenery? [Re: oenophore]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The College's 8000 students include 52% from LI and NYC. Acceptance in 2010 required a HS GPA of 92%, and then, cancelled the mandatory phys ed grad requirement a few years ago, no wonder that the elevation on the east side of the Wallkill is beginning to subside. On the other hand with a 3:1 female to male ratio, even the most jaded should be able to find someone to their liking. One just has to stop lurking on Main St and attend more campus activities.

Sad though that after cancelling the phs ed requirement, SUNY New Paltz built a grand, new multi million dollar field house. Where we always hear of the Freshmen 15, I wonder if at NP it's Freshmen 20?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Sponsored