Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#55254 - 09/24/10 01:37 AM Wop Stop P1
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
Grey Dick says it's 5.6 G. Anyone done it? Like it? I'm thinking of leading it tomorrow as it's new to me.

#55266 - 09/24/10 03:28 PM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: tallgirlnyc]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Please let us know how you like it. Another one that I somehow never got around to.

#55279 - 09/25/10 01:10 AM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: chip]
tallgirlnyc Offline

IMHO--Opening slab way too scary--first horizontal for pro looks sketchy at best. Even if you do get pro in, it would be another twenty feet above that on some desperately thin face until your NEXT piece of gear.

I walked away, just walked away...

#55281 - 09/25/10 02:53 PM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: tallgirlnyc]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: tallgirlnyc
Grey Dick says it's 5.6 G.

IMHO--Opening slab way too scary--first horizontal for pro looks sketchy at best. Even if you do get pro in, it would be another twenty feet above that on some desperately thin face until your NEXT piece of gear.

I walked away, just walked away...

When this happens to me I've know I've made a mistake and look some more. It rarely turns out I haven't.

#55287 - 09/26/10 01:24 AM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: Mark Heyman]
tallgirlnyc Offline

I'm sure I could be wrong, but even in the book, Dick says may be difficult to protect the slab unless you're tall...and I am and it still looked desperate.

#55331 - 09/28/10 01:17 AM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: tallgirlnyc]
Bill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mass Land
TGN --- Several years ago while I was working up the grades I backed off something due to ground fall potential. Ended up at Thin Slabs which I had never been on. Looked good and I headed up. Can't remember the details but I remember thinking before I got the first piece in that "Crap! This isn't good. If I blow this before getting something in it is going to hurt!" I finally was able to plug a piece and head up again and got into ground fall potential well before the second opportunity for pro. "Damn, I thought! I backed off the other climb to get on something safer and ended up essentially soloing the first 30+ of this climb!"

Before the avalanche of replies about all the gear opportunities I missed, I'm sure now as a much more experienced leader I would be able to better protect it.

The bottom line is that the rock will be there another day. It is not going away. No sense in risking life and limb. I believe you absolutely made the right decision to back off.

Looking forward your post when you go back and "git'r'dun!", and/or reveal it for the R or X start it really is! --- Bill

#55335 - 09/28/10 03:13 AM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: Bill]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: Bill
TGN...Before the avalanche of replies about all the gear opportunities I missed, I'm sure now as a much more experienced leader I would be able to better protect it.

The bottom line is that the rock will be there another day. It is not going away. No sense in risking life and limb. I believe you absolutely made the right decision to back off.

Oh, I certainly agree. There are plenty of other climbs. What I wrote though was that perhaps it wasn't as percived in comparison to the Williams guide. But now TGN has written that the guide book did describe it more correctly than she first wrote.

I'm sure I could be wrong, but even in the book, Dick says may be difficult to protect the slab unless you're tall...and I am and it still looked desperate.

Thin Slabs: I remember it as a bit thin on protection. Though not specifically at the start.

#55340 - 09/28/10 02:48 PM Re: Wop Stop P1 [Re: Mark Heyman]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Yup, the pro is there but you need to look pretty hard. Wish I could remember it enough to be more helpful. Good show anyway to back down and live to fight another day.

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored