Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#55393 - 10/04/10 03:56 AM Co-op
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
What a great route! Not sure about the ratings, the new guideboook says 5.6 and 5.8, we thought more like 5.7+ or maybe even 5.8 for the first pitch, and 5.8+ or maybe even 5.9 for the second, but really nice climbing throughout, and G from bottom to top. (By the way, we stopped at the Welcome to the Gunks pine tree.)

Mandatory doubles, by the way - even with them I had a bit of drag on the left rope on the first pitch.

#55396 - 10/04/10 11:39 AM Re: Co-op [Re: Steven Cherry]
Lucander Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
I discovered Co-Op this year as well, what a blast - a real trad climb that takes a litany of skills: route finding, rope management, anchor building, and difficult climbing. I agree that both pitches seemed tough for the grades.

This is an unheralded classic that will remain so. Its traversing nature and lack of top-rope opportunities...you have to climb this route for the sake of climbing it - not just for setting up another line - ensure that few will get on this one.

DL

#55546 - 10/14/10 05:44 PM Re: Co-op [Re: Lucander]
mark Offline
stranger

Loc: Belle Mead,New Jersey
I have to agree with the G gear rating. There was a horizontal crack on P-2 that will take every Camelot size from the purple to the #4, depending on where you slotted the unit. Bomber pro doesn't get any better than that. BTW, in the "Black Dick " guide, that pitch is rated 5.9-. I think that is about right; I don't know why he downgraded it in his new Trapps guide. Great route; go climb it!

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored