Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5600 - 09/04/02 05:59 AM Format with Netscape Navigator
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I like to use Netscape Navigator, but now the formatting of the pages is all messed up when I view them in Navigator. It seems to be fine with Internet Explorer using the same computer. Is that the site or just my browser settings? I don't have this problem with other sites or under your old format.

#5601 - 09/04/02 12:51 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: hartmann]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
I had the same problem. I couldn't even get to the discussion board without jumping through a bunch of hoops.
BIG BILL is invading my climbing world, and I don't like it one bit.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#5602 - 09/04/02 01:57 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: hartmann]
cori Offline
veteran

I emailed the comment in and they mentioned they did not write it to work with NS 4.7. So that is why.

I mentioned that at some work places we are not at leisure to install whatever we want on our machines. IE is OK if you have a PC and the company you work for lets you do anything. There is probably nothing so technologically advanced on this site that should have browser requirements, just formatting and implementation of some additional JS. No other site I go to has this problem.

#5603 - 09/04/02 02:23 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: cori]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Eh. Expect more of these problems with various sites and NS4 as time goes on... if you don't want IE, install Mozilla and use it to filter all the damn pop-up ads

#5604 - 09/04/02 05:08 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: pedestrian]
cori Offline
veteran

I probably was not very clear in the last post. sorry about that. (and yes - Modzilla rocks - have it at home)

My point was actually that not everyone has the luxury of installing whatever he or she wants on his or her machines at work. A surprising number of big corporations have standards that prevent installing software that is not approved.

I have no doubt that more and more sites that appear will not be compliant with NS 4.7. That is not exactly my point. If a site is for entertainment and nothing else, I find it completely appropriate to require browsers, resolutions, plugins, etc, because if someone does not hae the software to support viewing that site, the site can live without their business.

When developing a site or application that is used by the masses and has the intent to generate revenue, decisions on browser support and bells and whistles takes on a different path. This certainly may not be as fun, but it is just how things go.

Where I work, I will continue to develop for NS 4.7 until data shows that it is not economically reasonable to support this. Big companies move slow and upgrading browsers is not always a high priority. It is also a surprisingly high cost, which was news to me at first, but the support for something like this takes a lot of time and effort and training. (Even at a company full of rocket scientists, as I have found).

Then there are always the folks who use Linux and Macs...

This is why we make the big bucks.

#5605 - 09/04/02 05:21 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: cori]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...but the support for something like this takes a lot of time and effort and training. (Even at a company full of rocket scientists, as I have found).

That's what many computer geeks forget. A company hires rocket scientists for their knowledge about rocket science - not for their ability to upgrade software on their PC.

#5606 - 09/04/02 06:53 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
...but the support for something like this takes a lot of time and effort and training. (Even at a company full of rocket scientists, as I have found).
That's what many computer geeks forget. A company hires rocket scientists for their knowledge about rocket science - not for their ability to upgrade software on their PC.

Nah, big companies don't let *anyone* upgrade their own systems. Big companies use software management apps like Tivoli, SMS, and ZenWorks to "distribute" apps to desktops. The cost of doing this is pretty small, since it requires no intervention from the user or even support. The user turns on their machine, and see a shortcut for Netscape 7 instead of Netscape 4. Cool stuff from an admin point of vew. The time and money comes goes into training tens of thousands of users to look *here* for their bookmark instead of *there*.

Anyway, Cori is right, in a corporate setting, users don't have a choice what they can use- they may not have access to (the highly insecure, uncontrollable, non-management friendly) Internet Explorer. And she's right too that there's no reason to make a website loaded with javascript (and flash) just because you can. I hate these jazzy sites that require every plugin or worse a dozen activex controls just to load the main page. Really annoys me.

I miss (being able to surf with) LYNX...

-Tabo

#5607 - 09/04/02 07:37 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: cori]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
I agree that developers should at least try to support Netscape 4 for at least another 6 months to a year or so. We do where I work, though sometimes we introduce NS4 bugs in our point releases that we then have to go back and fix, because it's not our primary development or QA focus. Perhaps something similar will happen here on Gunks.com, with subsequent fixes - personally, I wouldn't expect anything different as an NS4 user.

However I also think that any company that doesn't allow their users to run IE on their Windows boxes is really living in the dark ages and are already subjecting their users to incompatibilities and just these kind of sporadic problems... I have seen several sites that don't work well with NS4.

#5608 - 09/04/02 08:05 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator [Re: pedestrian]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Well, only if you think that getting to Gunks.com discussion groups is a "business related" use of your systems.

If I ask my boss to upgrade me to IE because I can't get to the Gunks.com discussions... guess what the reaction will be? Hampering a users' access to the 'net isn't a big deal if it's not in their job description to be on the net in the first place.

#5609 - 09/05/02 02:57 PM Re: Format with Netscape Navigator
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
common now, its obvious, his skills are more inclined to computers rather than the social interactions.

how would you feel if say, you put alot of time into making yourself the perfect cam. then the first thing people said was that it was far from perfect, and this sucks and that is clumsy etc.

everyone is so uptight since the site switched over.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored