Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#56497 - 01/09/11 10:50 AM Re: Help a Climber [Re: talus]
mazda Offline
stranger

Thanks for the info.....

#56526 - 01/14/11 03:53 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: climberism]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Folks, our second route card for Millbrook is now available.

This card depicts two of the great Shawangunk Routes, Square Meal (5.11) and Lessons in History (5.10), both by Romano. Lessons is not in any guidebook and is one of the best 5.10's in the Gunks, which is saying a lot. The back of the card makes it easy (we think) to find the routes by the traditional "Death Ledge" traverse from the Westward Ha rappel. The cards are laminated and so are weather proof. There is a hole for threading a cord loop and clipping the card to the harness.

The cards sell for $5, all of which goes to Rich as with the first card. Of course, any additional donations will be most gratefully accepted.

Also as before, you can pick up a card at Rock and Snow, or order it from them by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope big enough to hold a 4x6 card and a check to

Romano Fund
Rock & Snow
44 Main Street
New Paltz, NY 12561.

You can also order a card from the PayPal account we set up for Rich. It is linked to the email address RomanoFund@yahoo.com.

You need to have a PayPal account yourself, in which case you can use PayPal's "Send Money" feature, clicking the "Personal" tab and selecting the "Gift" button---see

Sending money via PayPal.

Although the cards do help to penetrate the veil of mystery that has shrouded Millbrook for years, we have tried to honor the spirit of adventure that has characterized the crag and Rich's climbing on it by showing how to find the routes and where they go, while refraining from the kind of detailed beta that has turned many climbs into a paint-by-numbers experience. For example, these cards don't show where to belay and have nothing to say about what equipment should or should not be brought.

I want to acknowledge that some of you have already shown a level of generosity well beyond our wildest expectations. Thank you again, you have surely done more than enough, and it is not the intention here to ask you for anything more. We still do hope that the new card will be of real interest to Gunks climbers, and so generate some additional income to help offset Rich's ongoing expenses.

#56568 - 01/19/11 09:43 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: rg@ofmc]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Bump!

And a quick thank you to all who are involved. The cards look great, and you are doing a very good deed.

Cheers!

GO

#56571 - 01/20/11 12:07 AM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: GOclimb]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Gabe.

Some of our Western readers---or locals dreaming about a Western trip this summer---might be interested in Bob D'Antonio's guidebook offer over on SuperTopo.

#56577 - 01/21/11 05:34 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: rg@ofmc]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Steve Grossman is selling a special Lost Arrow nut tool commemorating the 1957 first ascent of the NW face of Half Dome. The tool is signed by the first ascenders Robbins, Galwas, and Sherrick, and there are only 23 of these in existence Proceeds go to Rich. Details at http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1381155&msg=1386941#msg1386941

#56666 - 02/06/11 03:33 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: rg@ofmc]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
I exorcised some demons and finally wrote the whole story, which can be cound here.

And Then He Fell

Again, we thank everyone who have helped in this fund raising effort. It gave him the means to seek the medical support to get back on the road of recovery.

Mim

#56668 - 02/07/11 11:56 AM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: Mim]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Well written Mim. It was good to see Rich out on the boards last week, even for only a short while. We continue to wish you both a full recovery.

#56669 - 02/07/11 12:01 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: Rickster]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Well written Mim. It was good to see Rich out on the boards last week, even for only a short while. We continue to wish you both a full recovery.
Yes, indeed. The details remembered before the accident are most impressive. I feel rather guilty harboring thank-goodness-it-wasn't-me thoughts as I read the narrative.

#56673 - 02/07/11 07:44 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
That was beautifully written, Mim. I made the mistake of starting to read it during work and could barely tear myself away. Perhaps you might submit this for publication in "Accidents" or another climbing mag, as it would certainly open some eyes and perhaps counter the route setting issues that are a growing concern. Again, I wish you both continued healing and peace.

#56680 - 02/10/11 12:35 PM Re: thanks from Rich [Re: chip]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
A very moving and beautifully written account of an incredibly difficult and traumatic event. I agree with Chip about submitting this piece for publication...it is never easy to read these accounts but they happen and we all can and should learn from them.

I am very impressed with how brave you were to share this. Thank you.

I wish you both continued healing, love for your life before and love for your life after, and above all, peace.

Dana

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored