Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#56405 - 12/30/10 12:38 AM torn pants
smileygirl Offline

Went ice climbing for the first time and tore up my brand new gaiters and my pants with my crampons. So, am I just clumsy, or is this standard? Do I try to patch up the gaiters, leave them as is, or just invest in cheaper ones in the future. Also, the pants i have are just a standard Marmot gortex shell that I bought many many years ago. Whats good for a top shell? Ski pants? Any advice is appreciated. I stayed very warm, so Im ok with the layering. Just curious on what works for others, especially when my crampons seem to just tear everything to shreds. Maybe the simple answer is I need to be a better climber. Could be.

Love advice, feedback, ideas, links to gear, info on brand names, etc... so please, feel free to fire away.

Thanks.

#56412 - 12/30/10 12:25 PM Re: torn pants [Re: smileygirl]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Smiley, keep everything tight and tidy around the lower legs. Snagging crampons on clothes is as you know costly, but also dangerous should you trip and fall, etc.
Heavier material on the instep side of the pant leg will help as well on both pants and gaiters. Whatever fashion statement works for you, but nothing baggy and loose. Tight is right, but not so much so as to cut circulation or restrict movement.
Until you get used to walking about in crampons, you might try walking with a wider stance as well.

#56418 - 12/30/10 04:34 PM Re: torn pants [Re: Rickster]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
its a common mistake to cheap out on gaiters and get gaiters that are too short and don't adjust well. a lot of them don't go higher than the ankle. I think these are too short. be very selective about them, and get ones with substantial kevlar protection, and figure out how they will adjust with your boot and crampon system. wear them over your pants and keep them snug and you should do all right.

#56426 - 12/31/10 03:43 AM Re: torn pants [Re: phlan]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
Smiley, it's pretty common to tear up your pants and gaiters in the beginning. Just patch the gaiters up with duct tape (if you're concerned about the looks, you can ducttape from inside). Most people wear softshell pants (lined with Polartec fleece) without a top shell. Something like Patagonia Simple Guide Pants or Outdoor Research Solitude pants (you can usually find them on sale). They're usually made of burlier fabric and are quite tear-resistant.

#56436 - 01/01/11 04:51 PM Re: torn pants [Re: Welle]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Yep, what everyone said. I still snag my pants leg near the ankle now and again when highstepping on a move, but the days of outright big tears are pretty much over. Lerning to walk normally in crampons is probably akin to learnign to walk normally in heels. Takes a bit of getting used to, and you can tell right away when someone hasn't done it much. One thing I would say differently than the others is to buy cheap gaiters. They are the expendable part of the system. You want to protect your pants. i wouldn't spend the money on goretex, kevlar lined bulletproof $100 gaiters. You're going to wreck them. Get the cheapo 30 or 40 dollar pair and you won't be so annoyed when you do rip them. iactually don't wear gaiters anymore unless snow condiions warrant it. But when I do break them out you'll see that they are more duct tape then gaiter.

RR

#56462 - 01/04/11 03:55 PM Re: torn pants [Re: RangerRob]
KathyS Offline

Loc: NY, USA
My shell pants have a cluster of patches on the inside of each knee. My Gaiters are untouched. I have a tendency to turn my foot inward when high stepping. It does not help that the shell pants are more geared to skiing than ice climbing, and so are a bit loose in the legs. I just keep slapping patches on them. Fortunately, they are inexpensive Gore-tex pants from EMS. Another good sale score. Climb on.

#56464 - 01/04/11 05:42 PM Re: torn pants [Re: KathyS]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
I'm with RangerRob on this. Go with a pair of softshell pants (I got a couple pair of inexpensive fleece pants with full zips with a nearly windproof top surface really cheap at REI (they were an REI brand). Saved the hardshell pants for days that are super nasty and actually warrent in (actually on a day with full on spindrift at -5F to 5F and 30mph winds I still wore my softshells (it was this day http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/original/275369.JPG ).

When you do wear your hardshell pants go with cheap gaiters. They are going to get ripped so why pay for expensive ones that will get trashed.

Edited by Chas (01/04/11 05:54 PM)

#56465 - 01/04/11 11:06 PM Re: torn pants [Re: Chas]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
What seems like so long ago I bought Chouinard Super Gaiters for both my ice boots and my teleboots. Glued them to the boots with Coltex Skin Glue. With ballistic grade cordura nylon, they never took a hit from either front points or ski edges. On one occasion while skiing down from Giant's Ledge in the Catskills, I was attacked by someone's unleashed shepard. Though I had two rows of bruises on my calve from his maw, as much as he tried, he couldn't tear through the gaiters. $$$ well spent.

#56466 - 01/04/11 11:21 PM Re: torn pants [Re: Rickster]
smileygirl Offline

Chas. Nice pic. you rock

#56471 - 01/05/11 01:33 PM Re: torn pants [Re: smileygirl]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Actually that was a guy named Ray from Durango. I was taking the picture. We were wearing about the same thing (actually we were trading off belay jackets that day). The gaiters were because the hike in was in knee to thigh deep snow.

Edited by Chas (01/05/11 01:34 PM)

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored