Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 39 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#57481 - 05/16/11 04:56 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: SethG]
agale Offline
stranger

The anchor atop P1 of Nurse's Aid is troubling. The cable around the tree has been choking the tree for years. Each year, the tree grows fatter and increases the tension in the cable. You can't see how the cable clamps are holding up because the cable is protected with hose. Granted my imagination is a little vivid (i see the cable slipping through the cable clamp each year as another annular ring is added). This anchor needs to be removed to help the tree and should be replaced with a looser cable.

#57484 - 05/16/11 06:53 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: agale]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
It's too bad trees don't make obvious noises when they are slowly being choked to death over the course of 5-10 years. If they did, the entire cliff would be a deafening roar of sylvan death throws!

#57486 - 05/16/11 07:32 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: RangerRob]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Anyone have any idea how big a bolt cutter one needs for these wire anchors?

#57488 - 05/16/11 07:47 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: rg@ofmc]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Rich, the Betty wires? They're ~1/2" in diameter IIRC. Go for it.

#57491 - 05/16/11 08:45 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: SethG]
jakedatc Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SethG
I used that tree last fall, don't remember it seeming sketchy.

We are talking about the tree on the GT ledge, yes? I'm surprised to hear this.

The tree atop the traditional pitch one, which sits below the big roof, had slings around it in the fall and I thought it was total crap.

No seth, I mistakenly went all the way over to the tree below the roof on Bloody Mary. It has slings and rap rings and is sketch. was easily backed up with as many cams as you wanted though.

#57495 - 05/16/11 11:40 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: rg@ofmc]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

if the jaws of the cutter are new the short (<2ft) ones will do.

hacksaw will work too. cut where the hose is covering it to help prevent fraying. some wraps of duct tape to keep it together helps too.

#57496 - 05/16/11 11:48 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: jakedatc]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: jakedatc
I used that tree last fall, don't remember it seeming sketchy.

We are talking about the tree on the GT ledge, yes? I'm surprised to hear this.

The tree atop the traditional pitch one, which sits below the big roof, had slings around it in the fall and I thought it was total crap.

No seth, I mistakenly went all the way over to the tree below the roof on Bloody Mary. It has slings and rap rings and is sketch. was easily backed up with as many cams as you wanted though.

Oh yeah, that one is also crap. The second pitches there are all great, Bloody Mary, Drunkard's and Morning After. Next time keep going!

#57502 - 05/17/11 01:00 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Julie]
gunks Offline
journeyman

Loc: Rosendale, NY
Originally Posted By: Julie
Rich, the Betty wires? They're ~1/2" in diameter IIRC. Go for it.

While you're at it, please go cut the wire anchor at the top of Baby. Thanks.

#57504 - 05/17/11 02:15 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: gunks]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
These cable anchors must take a relatively high amount of effort to install. Whoever is putting them in surely means well, maybe we could find out who it is and engage in a civil discussion about where they belong and where they don't?

When did that Baby anchor go in? I don't remember it being there the last time I was on Baby, but that was probably in 2008 or 2009... I agree there isn't a need for it there as the City Lights chains are just a few feet away and the walkoff is even better. With all that loose crap on top of Baby and crowds below, rapping there is just a bad idea.

Last weekend I did Shit or Go Blind & No Picnic and there is a steel cable anchor on the tree there as well. It looked to be a relatively recent installation, and it was put in with transparent tubing around the cable so that the cable can be visually inspected for wear. That location, just left of the Gerdie Block, is obviously another place where topping out and walking off is pretty easy to do, but I was happy to have the convenience anchor, which isn't visible from the ground.

#57505 - 05/17/11 02:43 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: SethG]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
When did that Baby anchor go in? I don't remember it being there the last time I was on Baby, but that was probably in 2008 or 2009... I agree there isn't a need for it there as the City Lights chains are just a few feet away and the walkoff is even better. With all that loose crap on top of Baby and crowds below, rapping there is just a bad idea.

The Baby, Betty, and Classic cliff-top anchors come and go with some regularity.

I think the crucial point is this: how can we communicate to all the people who climb Betty and Baby, but don't check this board daily, or know the cliff like the back of their hand, that there are preferable options nearby?

If we - 'we' who chop anchors - don't take steps in that direction, the anchors will reappear. On the other hand, if 'we' attempt to organize traffic, perhaps we could do some good.

Seth has a good point, that the anchors take some effort to install, and presumably that's good faith effort on behalf of the whole climbing community. Chopping those anchors without further ado is spitting in the face of that good faith effort.

Perhaps some kind of laminated card (which I think is a previously used strategy) where the old anchor was?

Just a thought.

Page 8 of 39 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored