Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57523 - 05/18/11 03:29 PM Harness reccomendation for kids
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
So my boys are 7 and 5. I need to get a harness that will suit both of them. I'm currently looking at either the Trango junior (full body) or the BD a-bod (normal waist and leg loops).
I'm thinking that the full body style is the way to go but it's been so freaking long I have no idea.
Thoughts???

Daryl

#57524 - 05/18/11 03:39 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: daryl512]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Full body is the only way to go for that age. They will do some of the goofiest stuff imaginable and this way they will always end up right-side-up. I bought a couple from Rock and Snow many years ago that are now seeing service with other people's young. They may have some good input at the shop of what is available and what they like.

#57554 - 05/19/11 02:29 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: chip]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
got the Petzl full body deal for our 9 year old. seems ok but she complains when she gets lowered; but she is deathly afraid of getting lowered anyway so that's no indication. there is no harness to fix that.

anyone got any tricks to overcome? she doesn't trust the equipment. I tell her it's only a natural reaction; once she understands what's going on and becomes more comfortable over time maybe it will improve. she loves climbing, just not getting lowered and we don't want to force anything.

#57556 - 05/19/11 02:36 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: phlan]
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
At 9 years old the only way she's going to learn to trust the equipment is with time. If she's really afraid, pushing probably won't help. I suppose lowering her from shorter heights may help. Depending on what she's climbing maybe you can have her downclimb to an acceptable level for her to be lowered. Again, I think patience and time are key. How long has she been climbing for?

Daryl

#57568 - 05/20/11 01:44 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: phlan]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Originally Posted By: phlan
got the Petzl full body deal for our 9 year old. seems ok but she complains when she gets lowered;
anyone got any tricks to overcome? she doesn't trust the equipment.

If you haven't tried that already, lower her really REALLY really s-l-o-w-l-y... and smoothly.

I had a kid like that - PM me if you want more ideas...

#57572 - 05/20/11 03:04 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: Mim]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
...she doesn't trust the equipment.

Smart girl.

#57573 - 05/20/11 03:14 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: rg@ofmc]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Yes, she is certainly smart. She will always try and climb down instead of weighting the rope. If she can't climb down I have had to climb up and "rescue" her. maybe if we put her on a low angle slab have her climb up a little and then have her lean back. if she doesn't like it she can downclimb. It might take many times and certainly lots of patience! and we carefully think through each scenario we put her in.

#57584 - 05/21/11 01:34 AM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: phlan]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

practice hangs and practice falls with a nice tight toprope. higher and higher.

#57588 - 05/21/11 12:55 PM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: daryl512]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
they have classes for kids at the inner wall....my three year old goes once a week or so and loves it. you could probably try out different harnesses etc.

#57591 - 05/22/11 01:34 AM Re: Harness reccomendation for kids [Re: charliebutters]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Kids do not like to feel as if they are not in control. Many would rather boulder and jump off when ready than allow someone else to lower them. Ice cream or similar treat after every climbing session can go a long way toward a positive outlook about climbing. Climbing with other kids is really big for many, like with Jannette's group.
Mostly, make sure they know you love them for who they are and not for climbing with you. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored