Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57617 - 05/23/11 01:30 PM Podiatrist Recommendation
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Anyone has a good podiatrist recommendation in NYC? My left ankle is getting worse and worse. I have to stop bouldering because I can't deal with the soreness after a long session. Took a fall yesterday and my ankle is inflamed!!!

#57619 - 05/23/11 02:01 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: Adrian]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
I have been mocked by podiatrists in nyc for mentioning the word ankle. Sounds like you may need an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor. unfortunately i cannot recommend anyone.....good luck with healing.

#57621 - 05/23/11 02:45 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: charliebutters]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
I believe podiatrists in New York are forbidden by law from working on ankles. I'm not sure who you need to see but I think you'll be wasting your time with a podiatrist. I'm sorry your ankle's not doing well.

#57625 - 05/23/11 03:42 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: SethG]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Hard to believe, but NYS law does not include ankle for podiatrists. One of the reasons I don't practise there. I can ask around a bit for recommendations in that area for you.

#57626 - 05/23/11 03:45 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: chip]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Wow, really? I'm clueless about what NYS law allows. Any help is appreciated. On the side note, should I start looking for Orthopedic doctors? My insurance company only list orthopedic surgeons, not sure if there is a difference between surgeon and doctor.

#57627 - 05/23/11 03:56 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: chip]
charliebutters Offline
addict

hey chip, i actually just made an appointment to see my pcp in rosendale so that i can get a referral and hopefully some pt. been having some re-occuring issues with my ankle,achilles, calf since february...any ideas? thanks

sorry bout tha hijack

#57629 - 05/23/11 03:59 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: Adrian]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Adrian, what is the specific problem with the ankle?
I had a persistent sprained ankle a few years ago. I went to an Active Release Technique (ART) guy. I had about 6 sessions, one per week, and my ankle has never bothered me since. ART breaks up scar tissue, improves blood flow, etc. and the guy also gave me some strengthening exercises.
He is in Manhattan and is also a chiropractor. He is in my insurance network and treats all kinds of athletes.
Look into ART and see if this might be appropriate for you.
I will also ask my runner friends about a couple of NYC sports med doctors they have recommended - good docs that do not tell you to stop running smile

Edited by The Lisa (05/23/11 04:00 PM)

#57634 - 05/23/11 04:28 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: The Lisa]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I don't know anything about the orthopedic surgeons local to New Paltz/Rosendale. For podiatrists, Tumen(sp? has a good rep and Jonathan Sumber also, both in Kingston. I don't have any other personal knowledge around the area.
In these situations, you can usually expect your PCP to give you good advice, as their reputation is also on the line with the referral.

#57635 - 05/23/11 04:33 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: chip]
charliebutters Offline
addict

thanks chip.....good to hear as dr tumen is currently my podiatrist.

#57636 - 05/23/11 04:44 PM Re: Podiatrist Recommendation [Re: charliebutters]
fotovult Offline

Loc: ny
Try some turmeric - I have been using daily for months and it has worked wonders with my tendonitis. Powerful anti-inflammatory and added benefit of strong anti-cancer properties as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored