Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#58352 - 06/29/11 12:54 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: Rickster]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Can we phase in to the next phase of rephrasing other persons paraphrases?

#58365 - 06/29/11 09:57 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: RangerRob]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Originally Posted By: RangerRob
When was the last time the community did anything collectively to benefit the fire department in a meaningful way?

I am pretty sure I have seen announcements from the GCC about donations to Gardiner Fire Dept. When they do fundraisers I recall them announcing/posting on flyers that donations will be going there.

This seems to me something done on behalf of the climbing community, and I am fairly certain that is the intent.

#58376 - 06/30/11 12:36 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: TerrieM]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Yes Terrie you are correct. they donated money on at least two occasions on behalf of the climbing community.

#59077 - 07/21/11 12:06 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: phlan]
cfrac Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Kent
Originally Posted By: laurelinjune
I did ask why Mohonk Preserve had to hire a security guard. It is because there have been death threats against some of the administrators. Wow, that's activism run amok.

My info on this is second hand too. I've only heard about one threat, not threats plural. The way I heard it is a Near Trapps landowner went to the visitor center and words were exchanged that resulted in Mohonk Preserve staff calling the New York State Police and the landowner being arrested and charged with menacing in the third degree.

The Preserve had previously filed a quit claim deed in an attempt to lay claim to part of this landowner's land. The Preserve's brand of avaricious and confrontational land acquisition can, apparently, quickly get out of hand.

My source of info is the Nears landowner. The quit claim deed is a matter of public record. It's the same quit claim deed I've mentioned a number of times before.

Kent, it sounds like you feel as though the landowners actions were justified.

#59544 - 08/08/11 02:22 AM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: cfrac]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks

My source of info is the Nears landowner.

I'm sorry... but I was the unfortunate tenant of said landowner for 18 months and he's fuck'n crazy. There is no other words around it. There is only one reason why the Mohonk Preserve got a restraining order - he threatened them and they felt for their safety. No court would give a restraining order without just cause. Like I said, he's fuck'n crazy.

And THAT's your source? AHAHAHAHAHAH!

Edited by webmaster (08/08/11 02:23 PM)

#59545 - 08/08/11 03:10 AM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: Mim]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Mim,

Mental illness is no laughing matter.

And if said person is unstable, aggravating the situation with something like a quit claim deed to try and take his land on the sly is unconscionable. Just because someone has issues doesn't mean their assets, their property, is fair game for a large, wealthy, politically well connected, legally savvy corporation to take via trickery.

#59546 - 08/08/11 03:12 AM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: cfrac]
Kent Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: cfrac
Kent, it sounds like you feel as though the landowners actions were justified.

I don't feel that violence or threats of violence are justified under any circumstances.

#59547 - 08/08/11 01:45 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: Kent]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Mental illness is no laughing matter.

Just to clarify: I'm not making fun of him, but of you.

#59548 - 08/08/11 03:31 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: Mim]
TrappDyke Offline
journeyman

Snap!!

#59603 - 08/12/11 03:15 PM Re: Taxes VS preservation...have at it! [Re: Mim]
Kent Offline
old hand

Mim, there are many rumors flying around about threats made, but no one knows what was said except the people who were present at the visitor center at the time of the incident, and it's likely even they have different versions of what transpired. I referenced my source, when speaking of the incident, because he was there.

And no matter how crazy you think he is, he's a human being and a neighbor of the preserve and he deserves a voice. Remember the Mohonk Preserve used a quit claim deed to try and take part of this neighbors land. It's despicable conduct on the part of the Preserve. Under the same circumstances most neighbors would be at least a little crazy.

Also despicable is your willingness to throw this landowner under the bus in an effort to make fun of me. And so it goes between climbers and private landowners in the Nears, and elsewhere around the Preserve.

Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored