Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#59826 - 08/27/11 03:46 PM Re: Here's an example of safe soloing [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
New Reality show....

America's Next Top Boulderer

#59830 - 08/27/11 11:04 PM Re: Here's an example of safe soloing [Re: oenophore]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
[quote=] [/quote]

Lucky barnacles.

#59885 - 08/30/11 09:42 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: GOclimb]
stoopid Offline
journeyman

Loc: West Sand Lake, NY
Originally Posted By: GOclimb
I'd bet dollars to donuts that this was his plan all along.

How much would you be willing to bet?

I was on the fence, I'm not anymore. I made my mind up, as it seems many here have as well. It was probably a dead issue before it was even discussed (pro and con), and in the back of my mind I knew I wasn't ever going to consider soloing 'safe'. There were no compelling arguments that made sense in the risk worth the reward context, and then I started digging and it just became plain as day that the practice just didn't jive with me.

There's a lot of level headed self righteousness in this thread. I'd imagine that's the zen state one needs before that hold breaks, rock hits you from above, foot slips, etc and you plummet to your death, a messy pile of fool for someone else to be bothered with now.

There was a similar culture of sameness when discussing the holiest Preserve and its dealings, and the advocacy people seem to be having some good fun with the gunks.com conformity of singular uniqueness. Just keep passing the koolaid between you. It's the rest of "us" that are bent.

Rock climbing can be safe AND fun. There does not need to be a distinction between these words. They should be synonymous, but sadly are not in certain climbing circles. Bummer, dude.

#59889 - 08/30/11 10:55 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: stoopid]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
Originally Posted By: stoopid
...hold breaks, rock hits you from above, foot slips, etc...

holds break and rocks fall when you are roped up too.

Rock climbing can be safe AND fun.

It can be but not always - you have to always anticipate dangers and risks. Heck, people have died climbing in the gym even. If you think rock climbing can be always controlled to be safe and fun, you in it for wrong reasons.

#59893 - 08/31/11 01:27 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: Welle]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Disagreeing with others is one thing; disagreeing with yourself is quite another.

I appreciate all the responses to this, as they are all well thought out and expressed. It's rare on the internet to have a place with differing views remain as civil as this one generally does.

There was a similar culture of sameness when discussing the holiest Preserve and its dealings...Just keep passing the koolaid between you.

I was on the fence...

...in the back of my mind I knew I wasn't ever going to consider soloing 'safe'.

Thanks for complimenting us on being level-headed. But try as I might, I just can't help thinking it isn't what you meant. May I suggest substituting "pig-headed?" It is more in keeping with your new tone and it is in better alignment with the paranoid characterization of the rest of us as followers of Jim Jones.

Now then, where did I set down that koolaid cup?

#59901 - 08/31/11 10:56 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: rg@ofmc]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
make mine sugar free please

#59905 - 08/31/11 01:45 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: Aya]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Mmm, koooooolaid!

#59907 - 08/31/11 02:21 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: chip]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
If you consider any form of climbing safe, (or driving for that matter) you aree living in a land of delusion. Its just all a matter of how much risk do you want to assume in your life.

#59908 - 08/31/11 02:24 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: stoopid]
cfrac Offline
addict

...then I started digging and it just became plain as day...

#59950 - 09/02/11 09:57 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: cfrac]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Hey Stoop, are you the same guy who said Ken's Crack is an unsafe lead over on mtnproj.com?

Just checking.

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored