Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#59817 - 08/26/11 03:23 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: Advocacy group]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Hey AG, can you post that chronology of MMH construction again? I don't think I got the message the first 5 times it appeared in this thread.

#59818 - 08/26/11 05:11 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: Mike Rawdon]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Hey AG, can you post that chronology of MMH construction again? I don't think I got the message the first 5 times it appeared in this thread.

He either thinks he's making some kind of point or he's just talking to himself after no one agreed with him.

#59819 - 08/26/11 06:08 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

Here it is, hope this helps....

1869 Mountain house purchased (40 guest total)

1879-1910 Mohonk mountain house expanded to 266 guest rooms.

1879 Cliff house hotel open at lake minnewaska

1881 Cliff house hotel expanded to accomodate 225 guests

1887 Wildmere hotel opens at lake Minnewaska

1903 Undercliff Road construction

1907 Smiley bros gives easement to NYC ($25,000)for aqueduct allowing the blasting of a crag and the clear cutting, mining of and entire mountain.

1911 Wildmere hotel expanded to accomodate 350 guests

1921 Smiley memorial tower built (Skytop) along with three miles of paths.

1926 5 tennis courts, golf course, baseball diamond and hundreds of Gazebos built at Minnewaska

1929 Overcliff Road Constructed

1998 New $2.8 million 9200 sq. ft. Visitor Center built.

2001 9375sq. ft. refrigerated ice rink opens at Mohonk

2005 30,000 sq. ft. spa opens at Mohonk

2011 Ridge top Bridge across Mt Rest road.

Thanks, MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#59829 - 08/27/11 06:34 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: Advocacy group]
cbmd Offline
stranger

MPNA/AG, thanks for your initial reply earlier to my questions. I've been away/busy climbing and working, so out of the forum loops...

I never intended or tried to misrepresent the positions or intentions of your group and apologies if my query did so. Kent was kind enough to PM with his personal thoughts, which shed more light on the context. I still think your current efforts are misplaced and unproductive here but that's just one guy's outside view.

More specifically, and especially in light of this thread, I feel that the tone, content, and often juvenile approach to much of the AG/MPNA posts seems completely contradictory to your purpose. As a change-oriented group representing a specific position with the intent of educating (and, I'm assuming, swaying opinion) towards that perspective, you are held to a higher standard of public discourse then the rest of the unwashed masses, like it or not, fair or not. Frankly, were I a landowner who'd signed on to the MPNA, I'd be appalled and disgusted by the conduct of the mouthpiece to which I'd attached my name. And I'd disassociate myself immediately. I truly wonder how many of your members read and approve of the postings...

I strongly believe that alternative and even opposing perspectives are important, even in sparsely populated forums like these. If you want people (especially casual/non-participatory readers) to take you seriously, I'd suggest dramatically altering the tone to a more professional, impersonal tack. The 'dick vs. dick show' is old news on the interwebs (though always somewhat satisfying, true) so I guarantee you'll garner more interest and sympathy with a detached, impersonal approach. Not as much fun but definitely more productive.

Good luck and think on it.

#59864 - 08/29/11 02:22 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: cbmd]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
From one of those unwashed masses (literally right now)....WORD!

#59865 - 08/29/11 02:45 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: RangerRob]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Thanks cbmd for your constructive critique of our tactics. You state " in light of this thread, I feel that the tone, content, and often juvenile approach to much of the AG/MPNA posts seems completely contradictory to your purpose." could you please give some examples? Also for those neighbors that have not viewed the original MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation thread, it is in general climbing and is just shy of 30,000 views. Please take a look.

Thanks, MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#60188 - 09/15/11 11:38 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: Advocacy group]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Hello, I do not know anything about these arguments, and the more I read the more questions I have. However having said that I would like to say something as one who has used the Preserve properties for years.

I like to rockclimb, and from the way I see it, if these properties were owned privately there would be no rockclimbing at all ever, period. It is hard enough to climb on state land, and private property owners here are for the most part very difficult to talk to. They have no concern for these things at all, they are unsympathetic in understanding them in anyway. You do not want to be on their property or bother them if you can help it. This may have something to do in part with the way the legal system is set up for accidents and property issues in New York.

That being said, I hope you can understand that as far as I am concerned the Mohonk Preserve is ordained by God so that people like myself can get out of the city and explore God's creation and understand Him better (I really believe this). This was the very reason for why the Preserve was created by the Smileys in the first place, rather than become a race track, and maybe the cliffs turned into a quarry. So for this reason I really have a hard time sympathizing with private property owners who want to argue with the Preserve under any circumstances. For the same reasons I am going to fight for this country, even with all its inconsistencies, is the same reason I would fight for the Preserve, inconsistencies or not. The Preserve and the Smileys have done humanity a great and enormous unrepayable service. And for this we should all be overflowingly and eternally grateful. Those who seek to hinder that work set forth by the Smileys should be eternally ashamed of themselves. If everyone had the same kind of charity and vision for making the world a better place as the Smileys have there would be no fighting. The Smileys have not only helped themselves, their families and their heirs but they have also never forgotten us in that process. I am more than happy to will my property to them, and if they want anything of mine I am more than happy to share it with them, whatever it is.

#60197 - 09/16/11 01:59 PM Re: MohonkPreserveNeighborsAssociation Redux [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry
Hello, I do not know anything about these arguments, and the more I read the more questions I have. However having said that I would like to say something as one who has used the Preserve properties for years.

I like to rockclimb, and from the way I see it, if these properties were owned privately there would be no rockclimbing at all ever, period. It is hard enough to climb on state land, and private property owners here are for the most part very difficult to talk to. They have no concern for these things at all, they are unsympathetic in understanding them in anyway. You do not want to be on their property or bother them if you can help it. This may have something to do in part with the way the legal system is set up for accidents and property issues in New York.

That being said, I hope you can understand that as far as I am concerned the Mohonk Preserve is ordained by God so that people like myself can get out of the city and explore God's creation and understand Him better (I really believe this). This was the very reason for why the Preserve was created by the Smileys in the first place, rather than become a race track, and maybe the cliffs turned into a quarry. So for this reason I really have a hard time sympathizing with private property owners who want to argue with the Preserve under any circumstances. For the same reasons I am going to fight for this country, even with all its inconsistencies, is the same reason I would fight for the Preserve, inconsistencies or not. The Preserve and the Smileys have done humanity a great and enormous unrepayable service. And for this we should all be overflowingly and eternally grateful. Those who seek to hinder that work set forth by the Smileys should be eternally ashamed of themselves. If everyone had the same kind of charity and vision for making the world a better place as the Smileys have there would be no fighting. The Smileys have not only helped themselves, their families and their heirs but they have also never forgotten us in that process. I am more than happy to will my property to them, and if they want anything of mine I am more than happy to share it with them, whatever it is.

Quoted to prevent deletion.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored