Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#59958 - 09/04/11 04:30 AM AT gear for the Northeast
climbingbetty Offline
stranger

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
Would like to get started with AT skiing this winter. Will be doing mostly local stuff, some trips to Daks and NH possible. Can anyone advise on what I should look for in a rig? Any special specific gear recommendations? Would also like a rig that can handle some local resort skiing as well.

Also, I just came across Dynafit Gaia AT boots on eBay for $250 in my size. Should I snap those puppies up or what?

#59961 - 09/04/11 11:35 AM Re: AT gear for the Northeast [Re: climbingbetty]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
CB,
Sorry, I can't offer more on AT gear other than, go as light as you can afford. That's traditionally, some heavy gear.

Try your query at www.tetongravity.com forum. Also though specifically a telemark forum you may try www.telemarktips.com These sites will offer you more info than anyone could possibly digest.

Additionally, and I don't know if this is a problem with all AT set ups, but many require that you take the ski off to switch from tour to downhill modes. That's a time consuming nuisance on routes with rolling terrain.

Otherwise, tele! Free your heel, free your mind.

Edited by Rickster (09/04/11 11:35 AM)

#59972 - 09/05/11 03:30 PM Re: AT gear for the Northeast [Re: climbingbetty]
tradjunkie Online   content
enthusiast

Also try timefortuckerman.com for northeast perspectives.

#60028 - 09/07/11 07:05 PM Re: AT gear for the Northeast [Re: tradjunkie]
Welle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Western Slope
You need to talk to the Mountaineer in Keene Valley, or GearX in Burlington VT or Nordic Barn in Stowe. Hate to break it to you, but if you are serious about earning your turns, expect to pay retail and get the lightest and best fitted gear you can afford right at a local shop. If you chase bargains, bad fit and heavy setups may turn you off from touring for good. Happened to a friend who is a pretty hardened hiker and usually takes suffering pretty well - she decided to stick to resort skiing.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored