Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#60137 - 09/13/11 07:25 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: oenophore]
retr2327 Offline

Oh what a tangled web we knit,
when first we practice to edit.

With apologies to Sir Walter Scott.

#60138 - 09/13/11 09:53 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
delete

Edited by donald perry (09/14/11 02:34 AM)

#60140 - 09/13/11 10:24 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I replied to my own post, deleted it, and still had the same problem with no posts at all against it. I have sermized that it has to do with the number of views you have to it after it is posted

I tested this by creating a junk post and went back and forth viewing that post a dozen times. I deleted it then. What gives?

#60141 - 09/14/11 02:33 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Stoopid: "There's tons of risk inherent in climbing, and to increase it soloing is what I'm resisting."

The fact that you are "resisting" shows you are no different then the rest of us! The first thing you learn when you start climbing is that to climb in good style means that you do not need the rope. The rope becomes something of a reminder that you are not free, you can only dream of leaving the rope behind. Climbing with a rope leads to wishing to be set free from the rope. There is nothing glorious about hanging or falling on a rope or needing a rope. Naked we came into this world in former days familiar with and attached to a rope, as anchored to life itself. But then there was a day when that cord was cut and we left that rope behind. We defied death and learned how to live and to breath without a rope once.

There are two climbs that sit together in the Gunks, one is Never Never Land, and the other is Never Say Never. If you keep climbing with a rope, regardless of what you think you know now, never say never because some day you may find yourself climbing without it. And if you keep dreaming of a climb, and you keep climbing it, it is only natural that you may someday say "I know I can do that without a rope". And ultimately you will never climb hard if you are not going to push things to the limit. What climbing is really all about is not repeating someone else's climb. You are really climbing when you are willing to climb into unknown territory and unknown conditions. Ultimately climbing is about taking calculated risks. And over time you can get better in narrowing down those unknown ungraded risks to a line as thin as a hair.

If you already know that climbing without a rope is sick, you should know that climbing with a rope is sick too. Because as time goes on you will become more and more comfortable with climbing with less and less protection.. You will learn more about rock, what protection is really necessary, that in most places you do not need runners, and what you can and cannot do. You will learn to take very little gear with you rather than everything you own.

You are like a week end crackhead saying you are safe, that you have everything under control. I don't believe you. You are already climbing above your protection! And if you plan on climbing hard and putting up bold new routes and keeping up with the rest of us, it wont be long till you realize you are not in Kansas anymore. You're not safe, I suggest you quit climbing while there is still hope, before it's too late, before you wake up and realize what you have gotten yourself into. You can not always be controlling climbing, sometimes the climb controls you.

But one thing you should know, these days you are now in are the most dangerous. It takes a solid 5 years of climbing just to get started, don't underestimate it. And don't solo ... its dangerous .. keep "resisting".

Edited by donald perry (09/14/11 02:59 AM)

#60142 - 09/14/11 03:51 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

And someday I will be able to solo those 5.4's in style, it's only a matter of time, if I don't die first *of natural causes*.

Edited by donald perry (09/14/11 03:56 AM)

#60146 - 09/14/11 03:53 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
a true master of the sport can solo the unthinkable and be relativey "safer" than I might be on easy routes roped up. the sheer nervousness I have always had about something going wrong could generate a situation where it makes something go wrong. that has never gone away for me or even got less. I always put in tons of gear. even after 30 yrs of climbing. the master soloist never has that hamster wheel inside his head, you can tell watching that their head is clear and focused. and also, the "super natural" aspect of the gunks is there. did Jim see Jesus there at Bayards? he could have. I have also seen strange, terrifying and exalting things in our home mountains. victims of accidents and tragedies do haunt certain spots, it can be felt. they warn us, have something to teach us, they feed my hamster wheel. climbing is not safe. if you can make it past your 1st five years, it might get a little better.

#60147 - 09/14/11 04:22 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: phlan]
SethG Offline
addict

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: phlan
did Jim see Jesus there at Bayards? he could have.

Oy, if he did don't tell anybody! The last thing we need is a pilgrimage site at Bayards!

1. Kent would make a fortune.

2. The traffic year-round would be worse than leaf season.

#60148 - 09/14/11 05:18 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry
Stoopid: "There's tons of risk inherent in climbing, and to increase it soloing is what I'm resisting."

The fact that you are "resisting" shows you are no different then the rest of us! The first thing you learn when you start climbing is that to climb in good style means that you do not need the rope. The rope becomes something of a reminder that you are not free, you can only dream of leaving the rope behind. Climbing with a rope leads to wishing to be set free from the rope. There is nothing glorious about hanging or falling on a rope or needing a rope. Naked we came into this world in former days familiar with and attached to a rope, as anchored to life itself. But then there was a day when that cord was cut and we left that rope behind. We defied death and learned how to live and to breath without a rope once.

There are two climbs that sit together in the Gunks, one is Never Never Land, and the other is Never Say Never. If you keep climbing with a rope, regardless of what you think you know now, never say never because some day you may find yourself climbing without it. And if you keep dreaming of a climb, and you keep climbing it, it is only natural that you may someday say "I know I can do that without a rope". And ultimately you will never climb hard if you are not going to push things to the limit. What climbing is really all about is not repeating someone else's climb. You are really climbing when you are willing to climb into unknown territory and unknown conditions. Ultimately climbing is about taking calculated risks. And over time you can get better in narrowing down those unknown ungraded risks to a line as thin as a hair.

If you already know that climbing without a rope is sick, you should know that climbing with a rope is sick too. Because as time goes on you will become more and more comfortable with climbing with less and less protection.. You will learn more about rock, what protection is really necessary, that in most places you do not need runners, and what you can and cannot do. You will learn to take very little gear with you rather than everything you own.

You are like a week end crackhead saying you are safe, that you have everything under control. I don't believe you. You are already climbing above your protection! And if you plan on climbing hard and putting up bold new routes and keeping up with the rest of us, it wont be long till you realize you are not in Kansas anymore. You're not safe, I suggest you quit climbing while there is still hope, before it's too late, before you wake up and realize what you have gotten yourself into. You can not always be controlling climbing, sometimes the climb controls you.

But one thing you should know, these days you are now in are the most dangerous. It takes a solid 5 years of climbing just to get started, don't underestimate it. And don't solo ... its dangerous .. keep "resisting".

Quoted for historical record.

#60149 - 09/14/11 05:19 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: SethG]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SethG
Originally Posted By: phlan
did Jim see Jesus there at Bayards? he could have.

Oy, if he did don't tell anybody! The last thing we need is a pilgrimage site at Bayards!

1. Kent would make a fortune.

2. The traffic year-round would be worse than leaf season.

The story is all part of Kent's and MPNA's diabolical plan to artificially inflate the value of their lands.

#60155 - 09/14/11 09:44 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: Rickster]
donald perry Offline
veteran

"did Jim see Jesus"

Could have been anyone or anything, but it was a person, and he did not want to find out what he was doing there. That's what he told me. I believe him, I think it was a spirit.

Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored