Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#60462 - 09/23/11 09:50 PM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: Rickster]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Rickster
On TZ, depending on how you set the lines, some rope protecting edge padding would be advisable as well.

Good advice for any of these rope swings. For example, the reason for rigging the Alcove Swing on P3 of South Seas and not P2 is the latter has a rope slicing flake that cannot be padded and has unavoidable rope contact during the swing.

#60463 - 09/23/11 09:57 PM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
"....has a rope slicing flake..."

Nothing that severe on TZ but, the edge the rope would most likely go over for a nice long swing is parallel to the trajectory. The rope would most likely ride that edge back and forth some. Of course, this is a lot talk and prep for a big kiddy ride.

#60473 - 09/24/11 05:41 AM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: Rickster]
jsj42 Offline

Actually, this is 9 pages of BS and only a few posts regarding the kiddie ride. The great thing about the Alcove Swing, and a particular swing I discovered in Eldorado Canyon a few years back, is that the slab take-off zone serves as a nice LZ as well - eliminating any need for tags, jugging, etc.

#60474 - 09/24/11 12:09 PM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: jsj42]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The swing on TZ would bring you back close to the ledge. But, not quite close enough to step on to it. It's not the GT ledge, however. But, wide enough to sit on. You would swing close enough for someone to toss a line for a quick pull into the ledge. Now, if you pumped it up like on a real swing, you could get the swing going enough to maybe step back in. That would be something, A real swing with 100' line's swinging 80 or 90' out and over the tree tops. Good luck.

#60489 - 09/26/11 02:11 AM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: jsj42]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: jsj42
Yes, like the Porch Swing or the Alcove Swing.

Man, I hope I run into one of you out west and have the opportunity to offer you beta for a climb or area. That'll be fun.*

*But then, I guess that would be predicated upon you guys actually climbing and not just talking sh#t at the brewpub all day long.

Honestly JSJ, I believe that you didn't get serious answers because there is no translation for fun like Yosemite swings to the Gunks. Those rope swings look longer than most of the Gunks (if not all) are tall and out ledges dont generally ramp downward and arent that big. Its really that simple.

On the other hand I'm not the person to be giving you a definitive no for an answer … especially since I'm not one of those people who actually climbs!

#60490 - 09/26/11 09:12 AM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: Mark Heyman]
jsj42 Offline

It's not the size of the swing that counts; it's how you use it.

#60494 - 09/26/11 08:02 PM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: jsj42]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
That's right! And with the wildly traversing routes one often time encounters in the Gunks, you can really go for a ride if you're not careful!

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing....

#60499 - 09/27/11 12:59 AM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: TerrieM]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Whatever, I just read an estimate of the Alcove rope to be app 550ft.

So Terrie - ur gonna have to go back out west to be satisfied!

#60500 - 09/27/11 01:38 AM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: Mark Heyman]
jsj42 Offline

I've done the Alcove Swing more times than I can count. Sure, it's fantastic... but one thing to realize is that, with such a high pendulum point, the swing is actually very slow (in terms of velocity) even though it is huge. Smaller swings are often much more exciting because you can drop into them and gain crazy speed.

#60509 - 09/27/11 03:22 PM Re: Rope swing at the Gunks... [Re: jsj42]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
You guys saw that thread on rc.com, where a guy almost died because the shitty rope on the alcove swing fell apart while he was on it, right?

"I almost got the chop today"

Someone replaced the rope, though, so I guess now is the time to jump on the alcove swing.

There are new frontiers in sport rappelling being arranged as we speak in Washington, D.C.

Engineers to Rappel Monument

Maybe they could set up a Wahington Monument swing?

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Sponsored