Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60455 - 09/23/11 06:34 PM Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
I have 1 hour, 23 minutes till I expire.

Long shot, but does anyone have a spare power cord/adapter for an IBM Thinkpad T43 they can lend me til I buy a new one, or sell me?

Best to call....(917) 270 - 9574, since I will be without my computer in about an hour.

What WILL I DO!!!???111

#60571 - 09/28/11 05:09 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

:[

Replacement cord did not work.

If anyone has, or knows someone who has, a laptop they are looking to sell inexpensively, please get hold of me! (phone above best)

I do much of my work via computer, and need a replacement. But also need one that is not screwed up, like running on half speed or what not. seems a lot of the CList ones have issues, and considering the prices they ask, it's probably better to get the lowest priced one from R+J. But if I can get a used one less expensively that isn't FUBAR, that would be wonderful.

#60573 - 09/28/11 05:30 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TerrieM
If anyone has, or knows someone who has, a laptop they are looking to sell inexpensively, please get hold of me! (phone above best)
But if I can get a used one less expensively that isn't FUBAR, that would be wonderful.

Define "inexpensive". A range would help.
PC and not Mac, correct?

#60575 - 09/28/11 06:00 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: retroscree]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

PC, as I need Illustrator/Photoshop and have that version, pluis I think my verizon modem is PC only

I can get the lowest end Toshiba at B+J for $235 free shipping

Less than $200, prefer less than $100.

#60675 - 10/01/11 06:14 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Ach - I am going insane. The J+R(not b + J - wonder WHAT on earth I was thinking about when I typed THAT!? hahaha) one at that price isn't available any more. I am going to NYC on Monday and hope, HOPE they have something in the store at a similar price, but even that - I am SUPPOSED to be heading west this month. I have no idea how I am going to do it.

But back to the laptops - I have been looking at CList and getting nowhere.

Really - nobody knows of anyone who recently upgraded and has an old laptop to sell? If you do - please, please pass my phone info on.

My business efforts are all but at a standstill, working with public library access. Not that I make any money anyway - but without constantly poking away with promotion, I am slowly sinking into oblivion. And to add to the issue, I recently took on responsibility to be a "team captain" for a climbers team on Etsy, promising I would do all this work... Not that they even seem to notice, but I do....

#60676 - 10/01/11 06:30 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Terrie - I have some older Thinkpad stuff in a bin in my basement. I think my older TP was an R model, maybe an R32? but it's likely that the power cord is compatible. I'll happily send it on to you if it will help. I'm in Arizona right now, but will get back to you Monday or so. I think the hard drive on the computer was FUBAR, but the power cord might help?

#60677 - 10/01/11 06:41 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: Julie]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Julie - Thanks but the problem isn't the power cord. I already replaced that. The computer guys say that it is the connection inside the power jack, and that, because it is soldered directly to the motherboard, cannot be repaired.

I appreciate your thinking of me though. Have fun in AZ!

#60678 - 10/01/11 07:24 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TerrieM
The computer guys say that it is the connection inside the power jack, and that, because it is soldered directly to the motherboard, cannot be repaired.

Actually, it is possible to repair that, depending on the problem. The real difficulty is finding someone willing and with the know-how to do it. A high school computing club, hardware hacker, an electrical engineering class, even an old-school TV repair shop (some still exist) are all possibilities.

#60681 - 10/01/11 10:05 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: retroscree]
enthusiast

Here's a DIY guide:
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

This is one company in NC that will do the repair for $149 + shipping:
http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/power_jack_repair.html

..and one that is local to New Paltz. Scroll a little and you'll see a link referring specifically to laptop power jack repair/replacement:
http://www.hudsonvalleypc.com/Computer-Repair-In/New-York-NY/Ulster/New-Paltz.php

#60703 - 10/02/11 05:36 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: retroscree]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Thanks for that. I will call and see what they have to say. Their site says only certain models, so hopefully they can tell me by phone if mine would be workable.

The do-it-yourself is quite interesting but of course I don't have the skills nor tools(soldering gun, electricity....hahahah). The guy here in town actually gave me a quick 'how to' on disassembling mine, but I took just one screw out, and then tried to get it back in and cannot even get it to seat. Could be due to that I was doing it in my van, with laptop on my lap and not fully stable but.... Some things I can handle, and others not. I have the feeling this one goes into the 'not' category.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Sponsored