Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#60743 - 10/03/11 11:23 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
You're gonna run Pshop and Illustrator on $200 computer?
You've got more patience than I do!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#60758 - 10/04/11 03:22 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: empicard]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
It's not something you're going to be able to do on your own. Taking the motherboard out pretty much means a complete dissasembly of the system. There are probably some instructions on how to do it, but most I've seen don't go for a complete mobo removal, just enough to get to certain parts which are prone to failure. To take the motherboard out, you pretty much have to strip the machine completely. Not really that bad, but would be daunting for someone who's never tried it.

If you're lucky, it's just the center prong of the recepticle. If you're even luckier, it can be soldered with only the keyboard removed. If the back of the recepticle is covered, then the only alternative is to completely disassemble the machine and replace the recepticle. For that, you need a soldering iron, as well a solder sucker. Without the latter, it's going to be difficult to get the recepticle out.

Parts are pretty cheap, I picked up recepticle on ebay for $10 or so. Probably take 30 minutes for someone who knows what they're doing. But it probably wouldn't be cheap.

#60762 - 10/04/11 07:12 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: quanto_the_mad]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
The link retroscree provided(repair dude) is HOPEFULLY going to pay off! They say they can do it, and I am on my way to drop the laptop off. They say a few days to get the part needed - hopefully I will have it back by Monday. Pray this works.... I went to J&R yetsreday, and they had zilch. I bought the laptop I have from them about 5 years ago, refurbished, for $250. They had only 3 refurbs, and they were floor models, beat to crap.

And even so - like $500 and up.

As for running Illustrator and Photoshop on a $200 one? I have been, and doing fine. At the same time? Umm....rarely. But it does go, and doesn't seem all that slow to me. Of course, I am not doing mega graphics work - maybe that is the difference.

#60768 - 10/05/11 12:03 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: TerrieM]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ

#60774 - 10/05/11 02:26 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: pda]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

At the moment, Newegg has 25 refurbished machines in the $200-$300 price range:
Newegg refurb laptops
...and 37 in the next price tier of $300-$400.

#60804 - 10/06/11 08:33 PM Re: Uh Ohhh - My Computer Power Cord Failed [Re: retroscree]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Thanks for those links. Good to know, although I HOPE I will not need them... The guy seemed pretty much like the DC Jack repair is a no-brainer, and it should be ready in a couple days. I of course worry it will not be fixed - but just have to wait and see.

It has been really frustrating, being pretty incapacitated, workwise. There is really only so much one can do at the library on the limited access time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Sponsored