Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#61287 - 11/10/11 03:48 PM Re: Deer hide [Re: oenophore]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: oenophore
Gosh, some don't get the point. What's the difference between a heated oven and a preheated oven?

A pre-heated oven that's just reached 350 isn't the same as an oven that's been at 350 for 20 minutes. Because the pre-heated oven is running hotter as it's still losing heat to the rest of the stove and to the surrounding kitchen. Once the surroundings have heated up, the stove "settles in" and thus you get a consistent cooking temp.

#61288 - 11/10/11 03:49 PM of deer and venison [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Mim Online   content
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Glad the thread almost got back on track... I was going to suggest to Evan to move it to the "Cooking" section.(On the other hand, maybe this thread belongs in the "Hunting" section...)

This morning, after two hours of sitting still and being really proud of myself for doing so, I got bored and picked up my phone to email a hunting friend to tell him how eerily quiet the woods were, when half-way through getting it written, a really healthy four pointer was sniffing at the doe estrus juice I has sprayed on a log ten yards away from me. The perfect shot. He never saw me. As I was putting my phone down, with too much sudden adrenaline flowing through my body, I clunked it on my range finder hanging on my side, like an idiot. Obviously, he heard that noise and looked straight up at me, then trotted away, while I watched, in utter disbelief.

You can't make this shit up.

Later, he came back and was flirting with a doe at 60 yards. It was very fun scene to watch. She displayed no interest and kept stumping her foot down as soon as he'd try to get closer. Two other does where at 50 yards, in the other direction. Eventually, they all left.

Another half hour passed and I decided to shoot a tree stump for practice (and to relieve some of the pent up tension for my major mistake) before heading out. I changed my arrow, took my shot, and then noticed that behind me, ten yards away, were two does watching me. There I was, staring at them back, with no arrow on my bow.

Again, you can't make this shit up as nobody would believe it.
It's hard to be a rookie sometimes... crazy

RR: I'm all for a venison cooking contest (even if I'm not the cook, my better half is). So, what's the big prize?

#61306 - 11/11/11 12:35 AM Re: of deer and venison [Re: Mim]
Mim Online   content
old hand

I think the up-to-date score is now:

Mim = 1
Deer = 9

for all the misses of the season... smirk

#61314 - 11/11/11 10:49 AM Re: of deer and venison [Re: Mim]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Later, he came back and was flirting with a doe at 60 yards. It was very fun scene to watch. She displayed no interest and kept stumping her foot down as soon as he'd try to get closer.

So you weren't the only loser in your story. Every guy sympathizes with that buck.

#61321 - 11/11/11 02:03 PM Re: of deer and venison [Re: oenophore]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
have people read the piece by Claude Suhl on bowhunting in vulgarian digest #2? I read that many years ago and was deeply impressed. it's poignant, moving and profound in a philosophical way, adressing the primal relationship between hunter and the deer that has existed for countless ages.

#61322 - 11/11/11 02:04 PM Re: of deer and venison [Re: oenophore]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Oeno, I was that buck for a long time! Mim, I don't know what the prize should be. A nice gender nuetral cooking apron maybe? I would suggest a good 6 quart Le Creuset dutch oven, but that is one hell of a prize. Maybe the prize can simply be praise from fellow friends for well made stew.

#61362 - 11/13/11 04:50 AM Re: of deer and venison [Re: RangerRob]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
Originally Posted By: RangerRob
A nice gender nuetral cooking apron maybe? I would suggest a good 6 quart Le Creuset dutch oven, but that is one hell of a prize.

Crock Pots could be a more affordable alternative, makes the venison melt for me.

#61381 - 11/14/11 12:25 AM Re: of deer and venison [Re: crimpy]
Mim Online   content
old hand

First, we need the venison... more than a button buck worth of venison. We won't have enough for the winter, at this rate... so from our end, we'd need to get another one before Dec. 20 (end of bow season).

Second, we need a few blind test tasters - although that shouldn't be too difficult - I volunteer! (since I'm not the cook).

Third, participants can pool, say, $5 bucks each (or per dish?) and the winner gets the dough (after all, they got the best doe!) and spends it on whatever they need, whether it's a quiver, a crock pot or blaze orange Under Armor underwear from Cabella's.

How have you done it in the past, RR?

#61632 - 11/27/11 08:58 PM Re: of deer and venison [Re: Mim]
Mim Online   content
old hand

Wed to Sun: been out every morning and rotated from my friend's land to MP and Minnewaska and haven't seen anything and haven't heard any shots (although saw plenty of hunters) - sort of weird...

Has anyone been lucky this week?

#61634 - 11/27/11 10:44 PM Re: of deer and venison [Re: Mim]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Has anyone been lucky this week?

Maybe the deer?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Sponsored