Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61718 - 12/02/11 07:59 PM Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Hey all,

I'm getting together with my family at the end of Dec. Looking for fun stuff to do. Outdoor or indoor. One thing we'll def do is check out the Grounds For Sculpture. How's Allamuchy Mtn State Park? Pretty walking in winter?

Any other suggestions?

GO

#61719 - 12/02/11 09:36 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: GOclimb]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
Where in NJ? got tons of ideas.

#61721 - 12/03/11 04:53 AM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: GOclimb]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Go to the Gunks for a hike.

#61727 - 12/03/11 11:25 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: retroscree]
gunkette Offline
stranger

If you go to Grounds for Sculpture, definitely make dinner reservations at Rat's! Never been on the hiking trails at Allamuchy, but Ramapo Reservation is pretty in the wintertime.

Note that GfS and Ramapo are like, two hours away from eachother, though. Sourland Mountain Preserve is closer to Hamilton and also pretty in the winter. Lambertville and New Hope (in PA, but just across the river) are both fun little towns. I think Peddler's Village (in Lahaska, a bit past New Hope, also in PA) probably is decorated really nicely for the holidays too.

#61732 - 12/04/11 09:25 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: GOclimb]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Rockville Climbing gym in Hamilton is very close to Grounds for Sculpture. By the way, I recently found out the landscape architect for Grounds for Sculpture was a Vulgarian.

#61733 - 12/05/11 12:37 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: Jannette]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
There are at least two parts to Sourland. The Western part could be a pleasant walk in the woods, or a better trail run. It has some even official bouldering too. Mostly small and difficult.

The Star restaurants including Rat's Nest are on my list of things to try. Princeton and New Hope area for other restaurants. Often live music in New Hope.

Princeton used to have a number a good classical and choral/holiday Xmas concerts.

Theres always Stover/High Rocks north of New Hope. Best to enjoy the warmth on a cold sunny afternoon sitting on a ledge at the top. More scenic than many other places, but gang ropers take over the ends on weekends. Allumuchy might be better, but I've never made it there. To close to the Gap to bother.

DWG (North Jersey) has better climbing and hiking than anything in southern or central Jersey.

IMHO - Really central and Southern Jersey are summer destinations. None of the outside climbing/hiking stuff compares with the Catskills.

Philadelphia art museum? Good seasonal concerts in Phila too.

I have a feeling I'll be away, but if not and you are jonesing for a climbing workout, I'll try to meet you at Go Vertical in Phila, or if the timing were right (difficult) at Rockville.

#61734 - 12/05/11 01:16 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: Mark Heyman]
keith Offline
journeyman

Loc: The beach
If your down by the northern coast Sandy Hook is one of my favorites for wintertime walking.Sometimes harbor seals dolphins and whales in the bay and no bennies. Theres also Harteshorne and Huber woods for some hiking and mtn biking. Where you gonna be?

#61736 - 12/05/11 04:43 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: keith]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Christmas Day there is a re-enactment of the colonials crossing the Delaware at, of course, Washington's Crossing State Parks.

#61752 - 12/06/11 04:27 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: chip]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Central Jersey - Princeton.

Thanks!

GO

#61759 - 12/06/11 07:12 PM Re: Fun stuff to do in NJ end of December [Re: GOclimb]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Washington's Crossing should be within 10 miles of you, then. I've never been into watching a re-inenactment but watching the British invade Kingston this year was pretty fun, especially with all the negative comments from the crowd for the redcoats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Sponsored