Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#41558 - 11/13/08 12:12 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: pedestrian]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
 Originally Posted By: pedestrian
 Originally Posted By: RockHarder
I call b.s. on Eddie. People have been climbing in that cave for years. In fact I was hiking in that area a couple of days ago and saw not one "no trespassing" warning. With that said, if in fact im totally wrong, and you are not a troll, shame on you. My god, talk about overreacting, get a f'n life and shut your fat blow hole!

wow, all the freaking moron newbies are going off on Eddie as if he's in the wrong here. You guys are idiots. Eddie has a long history on Gunksdot, we're all friends.. you newbies are the ones who need to sit back, chill out, and speak only when spoken to.

I'm not a newbie here and I do know Eddie and I still think he's lost his mind and is reacting like a nut job. Yes, it sucks that someone bolted part of his cave. That was wrong. But that does not justify blaming anyone and everyone, happily declaring that he will punish everyone for the actions of one or a few, and most especially it does not justify spreading anti-climber rhetoric to other landowners in the area.

He's acting like someone who was mugged and who's now gotten a gun and intends to shoot anyone who walks within 20 feet of him. I'm sorry you were mugged, Eddy, but relax, dude.

#41559 - 11/13/08 12:32 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: learningtolead]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
LTL,

you seem to have missed the point. when a small group of people break the law or break ethics EVERYONE losses as a result! THIS is how closures of all kinds happen...always. a few morons ruin it for everyone else.

it is not anti climber rhetoric. as i listed above other land owners may not even know this is happening. it is their right to know. people DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT WHERE EVER THEY WANT! (just because YOU people think it should be that way cause you want it, does not make it so!)

again, their is a liability issue here. PERIOD! they have the right to know.

the inconsiderate people who chose to do this should not have done it. some one here on this board knows the people or they are here now. you all should have stood up and said you can not do that with out permission....you did not stand up for ethics and the law. now the ENTIRE community will suffer.

would it be okay if i can into your home and drilled several holes in your wall and hung MY artwork on the wall? this is no different! you do not want my crappy art illegally installed in your house and i do not want any of your shitty bolts drilled into my cave...very simple.

i can assure you all this lack of support that is being showed here just demonstrates how much the climbing community has gone down the toilet. it seems that climbers now think they can do whatever they want because the WANT to! what happened to ethics, common curtsy and OBEYING THE LAWS? all this no longer applies? and the land owner is wrong? you people have lost your mind!

also, all this negative discourse further enrages me.....the more you attempt to make me (the victim) out to be wrong and the bad guy further entrenches me. the more you push me just insures i work AGAINST THE CLIMBING COMMUNITY! as a local land owner for over 35 years (and a climber) i would think the climbing community would want me as an ally NOT as an opponent. i am a tradition climber, following traditional style. i am also traditional in my approach to day to day activities. i ASK permission for any and all activities that may require it! THIS IS JUST GOOD OLD FASHION COMMON CURTSY AND DECENCY! the climbing community seems to think this no longer applies to them! as a result you as a community will find many many road blocks ahead of you.

Edited by Eddie (11/13/08 12:44 PM)

#41560 - 11/13/08 12:42 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
I'm with Eddie. It is his land, his cave. People should have asked permission. He's a nice guy, perhaps he would have given them permission. but they DIDNT ASK.
Also, he's being a kindly neighbor and alerting his neighbors and friends that "Hey, some jackhole has been trespassing on my property, and vandalizing my land (cave). Perhaps you should keep an eye out too."
There's nothing wrong with that.

Eddie's not small, but he ain't exactly king kong, either. but, put some anger in the man, and you've got problems.

PS. As for MERLIN, WTF? where did Schwortz go? Merlin's back now?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#41564 - 11/13/08 01:17 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Eddie,

You're right. Your actions are justified. But, your disbelief in the response on this discussion board shouldn't be surprising to you. Recently, the Mohonk Preserve closed a section of cliff because they deemed it too unstable for people to climb on and some people went there and climbed on it and then posted about it. What I find ridiculous is that the members of this forum that chose to respond weren't unanimous in admonishing the climbers for the action of honoring the Preserve's closure.

It seems that writing about their adventure incited as much rage as the actual act of doing. Here's a quote that demonstrates it, "it's not the climbing, but that "oh look what we did...we're so experienced and all and it's justifiable because we're better than you...now here's the blow by blow for you so you can think we're awesome" No one friggin cares if you go do it. No one cares about your FA It's an inconsequential variation to something anyway. Just the presumption that they were the first ones to do it is so pretentious as to be sickening. How the hell do they know if they were first? They don't. So spraying about it just proves that they are looking for some sort of Gunks noteriety."

And I think you'd be a bit mistaken to let the gunks.com response to your post be indicative of the climbing community at large.

Sam

#41565 - 11/13/08 01:23 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: empicard]
chip Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
There is a large difference between drilling holes in someone's wall and bolting a cave. A little spackle will bring the wall back to original. Most of the rosendale caves were blasted to mine limestone and make cement to build NYC,so it is unlikely that this is a natural cave. I don't know and haven't been to his. From any property owner's perspective, what is left would be much more attractive to me to explore with my family if it didn't have bolts.
When one of my kids does something they assume is OK but didn't ask permission about, I will pull them back to help them learn to ask first in life. Trespass is the least of the issue and irreversible damage has occurred to his property. This is a fine example of petulence and Eddie should have had them arrested. I would have done so if it were my property.

#41566 - 11/13/08 01:28 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As they say, "One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch."

Eddie you are completely justified in your reaction and opinion. Any action taken to warn neighbors of the situation is also completely reasonable. People can't violate private property rights willy nilly. Maybe this will be a wake up call for people to realize they are not entitled to climb anywhere they please.

#41567 - 11/13/08 01:39 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
SnowJunkie Online   content

Loc: NY
I find it ironic that Eddie is railing about property owners rights when he admitted that he trespasses on preserve land because he doesn't want to pay for a pass. You can't on one hand rail about property rights and then make the statement (in regards to paying $15 to climb at the preserve) "i will not pay! i promise! look for my ford wagon. catch me if you can." and be taken seriously. You can't have it both ways. I'll reiterate that I and I'm sure many if not all feel for you and agree that it was wrong but your petty and vindictive statements are not helping your cause/issue.

#41570 - 11/13/08 01:56 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: SnowJunkie]
RockHarder Offline
stranger

Who wants to place bets that Eddie ends up clipping those bolts!

#41576 - 11/13/08 03:31 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: RockHarder]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: RockHarder
Who wants to place bets that Eddie ends up clipping those bolts!

i wont clip them even when i chop them....i promise!

#41578 - 11/13/08 03:40 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: SnowJunkie]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: SnowJunkie
I find it ironic that Eddie is railing about property owners rights when he admitted that he trespasses on preserve land because he doesn't want to pay for a pass. You can't on one hand rail about property rights and then make the statement (in regards to paying $15 to climb at the preserve) "i will not pay! i promise! look for my ford wagon. catch me if you can." and be taken seriously. You can't have it both ways. I'll reiterate that I and I'm sure many if not all feel for you and agree that it was wrong but your petty and vindictive statements are not helping your cause/issue.

i have been reformed.....many many years ago.....looks like 3.5 years.

i am asking for any help with my cause/issue. i have the law to straighten out any problems i may have in the future. i am just giving fair warning just in case there are honest climbers who were making misinformed decisions about climbing on private property.

we will be watching.....seems the rosendale cave owners association is in my favor. after speaking with a fellow cave owner he is in full agreement with me. before i explained it to him he told me not to allow climbers on my cave. he is out walking his property right now....and he is calling his neighbor who is also a cave owner. i am sure they both will be on the look out.

the wheels are in motion. be warned. look for new posted signs.

GO BACK TO THE PRESERVE TO CLIMB!

Edited by Eddie (11/13/08 04:13 PM)

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored