Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#62852 - 03/01/12 08:27 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: talus]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Nor have I

#62853 - 03/01/12 08:27 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: talus]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

agreed. the problem is more likely to be other climbers ("Dude, bootie!")
you also have to be pretty determined to get to the actual cliff edge, even at the high point, which few non-climbers are.

Originally Posted By: talus
Originally Posted By: retroscree
Originally Posted By: RangerRob
I'm actually totally with you you and Rich on this Joe. Super easy to build an anchor there, or most sections of the cliff acually

Which is fine if you are OK with leaving an unattended anchor and $$ gear a few minutes of easy hiking from a lake that attracts a lot of people who are mostly non-climbers.

i never had a problem

#62857 - 03/02/12 05:23 AM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: talus]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Traverse over starting from the North or take an extra rope. This way you can always go up or traverse off.

Edited by donald perry (03/02/12 05:24 AM)

#62862 - 03/02/12 02:57 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: donald perry]
LarE Offline

Plant new tree. Wait 30 years. Rappel.

#62863 - 03/02/12 03:17 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: LarE]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

A bolted anchor would be far more convenient and the least obtrusive.

#62864 - 03/02/12 04:47 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
On the other hand a ratty, evil looking rap anchor would be just the thing when combined with Millbrook's resident population of snakes, slim creatures, lions, tigers and bears oh my, to repell future hordes.

#62865 - 03/02/12 04:59 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: rg@ofmc]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
one can set up bomber gear anchors and remove them on the way out.

The majestic rap tree can be backed up with gear. The gear is not visible from hikers. Any climber that's (fill in the blanks) to steal that gear deserves (fill in the blank).

There are also two trees to rap off from about 50' on each side of the old tree...

#62867 - 03/02/12 08:04 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: retroscree]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY

Which is fine if you are OK with leaving an unattended anchor and $$ gear a few minutes of easy hiking from a lake that attracts a lot of people who are mostly non-climbers.

A few minutes? It's not even a few minutes for a fit bicyclist, much less the typical tourist, who will probably need an hour or more. In any case, it is exceptionally rare for the hikers to leave the trail and bushwack down to the cliff edge (I would have said never, but I suppose there must be some examples.) If they did make their way to the climber's trail along the cliff edge, they will absolutely never venture over the edge to any of the places one would set up gear anchors.

Over the years, rappel lines have been left at the cliff edge while parties were climbing below and have never been disturbed either. So the idea that some walker will steal gear left as an anchor on the top is just not an issue.

There is absolutely no access problem whatsoever at Millbrook if the standard rap tree becomes unusable, and rap bolts at Millbrook, in addition to being totally unnecessary, would be utterly contrary to everything the cliff has come to represent.

#62868 - 03/02/12 08:19 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
A bolted anchor would be far more convenient and the least obtrusive.

Post a picture and establish a tree further north and south instead of the one now missing in the middle?

Rap down to the base of your climb and jummar or climb back up?

Put a bolt and either Rich or I will want to unscrew it for fear that they could multiply under the same brand of thinking?

Don't watch this video, if you do the damn song might get stuck in your head. That's for sure ... don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbCEGGSQ-aY

Edited by donald perry (03/02/12 08:30 PM)

#62869 - 03/02/12 08:33 PM Re: Millbrook Rap tree [Re: donald perry]
talus Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: donald perry
Put a bolt and either Rich or I will want to unscrew it for fear that they could multiply under the same brand of thinking?

put me on that list

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored