Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#63280 - 03/23/12 03:47 PM Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Things are not the same as they were before, at lest not as I ever remembered them!!!

I have been climbing every weekend all winter long.

Now that it is getting even warmer every weekend we are getting ticks! We went to Millbrook, my son got a tick on his leg, we just found it. My son's girl friend got a tick on the trail and pulled it off her on top of Millbrook. The dogs got ticks on Supper's Ready (you know ... that 5.12a) last week end. That's around 5 ticks already!!!

Better check yourself for ticks every few minutes and right after you walk in the woods, and take all those necessary precautions. Ware white pants and put your socks over your pants when you hike.

If the wound forms a bulls eye that means you have lime, see a doctor if you have any kind of infection, and do not wait or there will be permanent damage to your health.

Edited by donald perry (03/23/12 03:49 PM)

#63282 - 03/23/12 04:10 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Donald, your dog ticked Supper's Ready? Multiple times even? That's some pretty advanced canine climbing. YouTube video?

Seriously, Lyme is no 'effin joke. Be careful out there folks.

#63283 - 03/23/12 04:38 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: rg@ofmc]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

But apparently the route is now covered in lime. Unless Don meant the limes that go into mojitos.

#63284 - 03/23/12 06:26 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Along with the extremely mild winter comes the threat of lyme disease. Seems we've all "been there and done" that now, even with all the precautions. Despite a number of preventative protocols, one of our dogs has picked up one of the other tick born diseases, anaplasmosis, and he's on meds now.

#63285 - 03/23/12 07:25 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: Rickster]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

What Rick said. You also want to get checked for anapl. and related ehrlichia as well as babesia along with a lyme workup. In any case, it sucks. Had another brief dose last summer. It sucks.

Link

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Along with the extremely mild winter comes the threat of lyme's disease. Seems we've all "been there and done" that now, even with all the precautions. Despite a number of preventative protocols, one of our dogs has picked up one of the other tick born diseases, anaplasmosis, and he's on meds now.

Edited by ianmanger (03/23/12 07:34 PM)
Edit Reason: add link

#63286 - 03/23/12 08:29 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Now what? Should he run and get tests or wait/? Hard to tell without going to the doctors.

#63287 - 03/23/12 10:37 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

A friend of mine got a bite and they gave prophylactic doxy at the clinic in New Paltz as a matter of routine.
Not a physician, but my preference would be to wait until you have a sense that something might be amiss (I had pretty good fever both times, though initial symptoms vary widely). I'd rather not take antibiotics if I don't have to. YMMV. If you do need to hit the docs, the other infections should proly be in the Dx panel.

Originally Posted By: donald perry
Now what? Should he run and get tests or wait/? Hard to tell without going to the doctors.

Edited by ianmanger (03/23/12 10:42 PM)

#63288 - 03/24/12 12:04 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: ianmanger]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
The tick has to be on (in) you for a while before you are going to contract Lyme. I've been told it takes 24 hours. I have also goten lyme once and had a couple of prophylactic doses after finding the ticks the next day. As bad as it can be, it can also be taken care of if found early enough.

#63289 - 03/24/12 12:32 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: pitfall]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
a good gague is to check if attached tick is engourged, if it is then it has been feeding a while and worrying is valid. If the tick is flat and not burrowed in very deep then most likely it has not been attached long enough.

#63291 - 03/24/12 10:28 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: crimpy]
donald perry Offline
veteran

i

Edited by donald perry (03/24/12 11:46 AM)

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >

Sponsored