Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#63322 - 03/25/12 08:41 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: retroscree
Originally Posted By: donald perry
well ... I suppose if that is the truth then I should delete again. My goal is to reduce the number of my posts anyway.

Rather than deleting, how about not posting irrelevant stuff in the first place? Deleting posts after they have been responded to is just lame and weak.

I am trying to break a vicious cycle.

But let me try and sum up my deleted irrelevant stuff.

I think this tick thing needs to be taken more seriously.

A sign about ticks and their increased numbers is a good idea, NO DOUPT. But what I am really concerned about is that you guys are here criticizing someone who is trying to educate people about what you did not know about before you went through your education the hard way, by experience. And by the way, after reading, HELL YEA I am getting my son tested! It would not have happened otherwise. I would have suggested he waited before.

#63323 - 03/25/12 08:48 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: AOR]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: AOR
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Signs about ticks...Sure! Maybe at the base of each route rather than the approach trails.

And while they're at it, maybe they should install signs warning of venomous snakes. Wasps. Uneven ground. Falling rocks. Loose dogs. Buck moth caterpillars. Loose soil. Lightning. Cold weather. Darkness. Chiggers. Hunters. Giardia. Microfractures. Meteorites. Obamacare. Dick Cheney. Nuclear waste.

Don't forget Snooki...she REALLY scares me.

If you brought Snookie up here and she got a tick ... that you concluded not to warn her on the way, of the importance of getting sprayed and tested ... especially if you had already got lime multiple times already ....

What would Snookie say?

Edited by donald perry (03/25/12 10:15 PM)

#63324 - 03/25/12 11:18 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
snookies from up here...she knows.

#63325 - 03/26/12 12:11 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Donald, these days, at least in New Paltz, they just give doxy without testing.

Its up to you. So you don't know if you actually have the bug, tho as some people have pointed out, in general you have a greater likelihood of getting infected if the tick has been 'on' 24-48hrs. Some folks are less stoked about taking unnecessary antibiotics, so they might prefer to wait. As I noted, YMMV.

My first bout was problematic because my PCP wasn't familiar and I wasn't either. Now odd fevers or muscle cramps send me to the doc and its one of the first things I want considered. I assume I didn't see the tick/get a rash. The good news is that a course of doxy is not too terrible and it will clear the problem. If you are aware of Lyme, its generally very manageable. That apparently Lyme-related symptoms, or some post-Lyme 'syndrome' appears to afflict a subset of people who suffer long term is more worrying since it is poorly served by a generally skeptical medical community.

Reading back, I don't think anyone has criticized you for mentioning this, though as Rickster has pointed out and from the responses to earlier Lyme threads, mine among them, this is a fairly well trodden path and most of the regular posters are well aware of the problem. But again, mentioning it again doesn't hurt, esp if this year is going to be a bad one.

#63326 - 03/26/12 03:04 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: crimpy]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: crimpy
snookies from up here...she knows.

Yea, I'm from around here, but I did not know that everytime you walk around up here in the Gunks in warmer weather with a couple of friends they can likly get a tick!

Having studied to become a veterinary tech in Marlboro does not teach you everything.

Edited by donald perry (03/26/12 03:51 AM)

#63330 - 03/26/12 03:54 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: ianmanger
Donald, these days, at least in New Paltz, they just give doxy without testing.

Its up to you. So you don't know if you actually have the bug, tho as some people have pointed out, in general you have a greater likelihood of getting infected if the tick has been 'on' 24-48hrs. Some folks are less stoked about taking unnecessary antibiotics, so they might prefer to wait. As I noted, YMMV.

My first bout was problematic because my PCP wasn't familiar and I wasn't either. Now odd fevers or muscle cramps send me to the doc and its one of the first things I want considered. I assume I didn't see the tick/get a rash. The good news is that a course of doxy is not too terrible and it will clear the problem. If you are aware of Lyme, its generally very manageable. That apparently Lyme-related symptoms, or some post-Lyme 'syndrome' appears to afflict a subset of people who suffer long term is more worrying since it is poorly served by a generally skeptical medical community.

Reading back, I don't think anyone has criticized you for mentioning this, though as Rickster has pointed out and from the responses to earlier Lyme threads, mine among them, this is a fairly well trodden path and most of the regular posters are well aware of the problem. But again, mentioning it again doesn't hurt, esp if this year is going to be a bad one.

If problems persist might we be shooting in the dark unless we know what we are doing from the start? And, aren't there other things ticks carry besides lime that doxy won't cure?

#63331 - 03/26/12 11:37 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry

If problems persist might we be shooting in the dark unless we know what we are doing from the start? And, aren't there other things ticks carry besides lime that doxy won't cure?

The way this works is that the test is immunological. It looks for the response to the presence of the Borrelia bug. This takes time to develop, the initial IgM response and the more effective IgG response as it matures. I forget the actual times, but its 3-4 days at least for IgM and then a week or two for IgG. These times are measured roughly from the start of a productive infection, so you have to have a real infection to know if you actually have the disease.. It generally takes Lyme at least two weeks to a month to get going, so you can't just test the next day after a bite and expect to know anything with any certainty.

Friends of mine have collected ticks that have bitten them for testing and the docs generally don't bother sending those out for testing these days. There are probably too many.

Bottom line, you may end up taking antib. for no reason. For most folks this isn't a big deal. Again, not a physician, but with doxy there is the risk of photosensitivty, so outdoor exposure has to be limited. I've also had some antibiotic-associated diarrhea as well. So that sucks. Good luck.

#63332 - 03/26/12 12:24 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
you run a landscape company Donald, from my experience the ticks in northern nj are really bad. what do you think.

#63333 - 03/26/12 12:43 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Because we are talking about testing for and dealing with the immune system now, this reminds me of AIDS HOAX. Dr. Peter Duesenberg, Nobel prize winning virologist is my hero. I feel guilty not sharing this sooner. You do not have to agree, but HIV = AIDS is a lie. There is no such thing as AIDS in the WAY it is normally understood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkHsLZnE6oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yopRSViC_M&feature=related

Edited by donald perry (03/26/12 12:45 PM)

#63334 - 03/26/12 01:08 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
And why is this thread in the general climbing section?????

Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 21 >

Sponsored