Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 4 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#63663 - 04/06/12 02:25 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: Julie]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Prayers and positive thoughts Corey, Max and family.

#63678 - 04/06/12 06:00 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: alicex4]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
I know from personal experience that a swinging fall can cause a flip without the rope being behind your leg. I flipped when my ankle hit the cliff.

#63681 - 04/06/12 06:16 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: Nick Weinberg]
fear Offline
enthusiast

Loc: New England
Most climbing helmets these days IMO are really poorly designed for serious impacts and are rather delicate. Check out the shitty coverage most afford the front and sides of the skull. I think they're designed more to be light and comfortable so that people will wear them. It's a catch-22 since if it's a hard shell 5 pound motocross-style helmet, nobody would wear one.

I'm glad this poor guy had something on his head though and hopefully it reduced the impact and extent of his head trauma.

#63684 - 04/06/12 07:20 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: fear]
MetalDemon Offline
stranger

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: fear
Most climbing helmets these days IMO are really poorly designed for serious impacts and are rather delicate. Check out the shitty coverage most afford the front and sides of the skull. I think they're designed more to be light and comfortable so that people will wear them. It's a catch-22 since if it's a hard shell 5 pound motocross-style helmet, nobody would wear one.

I'm glad this poor guy had something on his head though and hopefully it reduced the impact and extent of his head trauma.

I think climbing and motorcycle helmets have very similar idea. The hard shell ones actually save the skulls from impact more but end up snapping the neck or result in massive inner head trauma from force. The foam lighter "cheaper feeling" helmets are meant to shatter and absorbs more blunt force.
I think the rule of thumb for helmets is that the hard shells protect against rock fall which is why you'd see more rock guides using them. The plastic foam ones are much better for falls involving head impacts. The worst case scenario is using a helmet that has a plastic outer shell with no foam where you actually hit your head. You don't get the hard shell benefits or the foam absorptions.

#63686 - 04/06/12 08:23 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: MetalDemon]
KathyS Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Yes, this is why I like the BD Tracer. Not only is it one of the few helmets that fits my small noggin, but it has foam all around, much like a bike helmet. For ice, I use a hard-shell Grivel, because repeated impacts from ice chunks are much more likely than a swinging fall (for me, anyway), but even it has some perimeter foam.

#63708 - 04/07/12 05:14 AM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: Bill]
MaxLasky Offline
stranger

I visited Corey at the hospital last night and it was really comforting to see his family and talk about what happened. Corey is doing much better than originally anticipated and on thursday doctors were able to take him off of life support. Since then, he has been talking and breathing on his own. We are all extremely happy that he is completely able to move his arms and legs normally, with no apparent altered sensations. When I visited Corey in the ICU, he was pretty agitated and uncomfortable but was able to fully recognize me and even told me that he missed me.

Lets all hope that he continues this awesome progress. I will continue to keep the community updated on my buddy's recovery

#63713 - 04/07/12 09:08 AM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: Bill]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Dear Max And Corey I apologize to you for not being able to very helpful to you guys, I am not very good at expressing myself in writing as I am sure you can tell by now. But I am trying; I hope you can forgive me in this. I want you to know that I have been in your situation many times before and I know what you are going through. And I want you to know foremost that you need to stop going over in your mind what has happened, the details, and blaming yourselves. Neither does anyone else here blame you for what has happened; you have done nothing to be embarrassed of. You must not blame your selves in these things. Yes, some poor judgments were made, yes things could have been done different, but Corey and Max that is always the case always. No matter what we do things could have always been done better and we are always taking chances, it is unavoidable. We are just like you, we are all human, so do not feel ashamed.

Nevertheless, this generation of climbers and this era of climbing that you have entered into is a generation which is predominantly oblivious to the things of the generation that I come from. And here what I am trying to say is that had you entered into climbing in my generation back in the 70's there would have been people who would have come and mentored you and encouraged you in their ways. But these men are all gone it seems, and their paths have vanished away like roads in the sand. If you do find a need to blame someone, if your family finds a need to blame someone tell them to blame us, blame this climbing community. We should all know better by now to not have abandoned and left behind what our fathers had taught us and the world that they gave us. And I am no different in this. Perhaps you can help reverse these trends in our climbing community and make our world a better place, I hope so, and I hope to see you again soon up at the cliff perhaps. May God be with you and God bless you in all that you do. Get well soon.

#63714 - 04/07/12 12:01 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: donald perry]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Thanks for the update Max, that is great news.

#63718 - 04/07/12 03:28 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: SethG]
MetalDemon Offline
stranger

Loc: NY
Thanks Max, good to hear. Hope to see you both climbing soon!

#63719 - 04/07/12 03:35 PM Re: Accident on MF today [Re: MetalDemon]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Thanks, Max. So glad to hear that.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored