Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#63418 - 03/30/12 07:29 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: chip]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Yo! I am here in Linden, nj bent over a wood counter waiting for an order of 6" bolts for 15 minutes and this tick fell out of my head right down onto the counter! I got it in a plastic bag now. Millbrook is infested with ticks. Btw yesterday I only saw one bird, a bluejay, on the way there.

Edited by donald perry (03/30/12 09:25 PM)

#63419 - 03/30/12 08:25 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

We were up there last week picking them off, so I know where it came from, and it is a deer tick. Guess what, next time you see me, its gonna be with a hazmat suit and duct tape.

Laugh all you want.

I really do not like deet. It eats through nylon.

Edited by donald perry (03/30/12 08:39 PM)

#63420 - 03/30/12 08:28 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
DEET bin bery, bery good to me.

#63425 - 03/30/12 09:00 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry

Actually, it doesn't. DEET does damage plastics and most synthetic fabrics, but nylon isn't one of them.

We are talking about pure DEET here, not an insect repellent preparation that contains DEET along with solvents or other agents.

#63426 - 03/30/12 09:28 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: retroscree
Originally Posted By: donald perry

Actually, it doesn't. DEET does damage plastics and most synthetic fabrics, but nylon isn't one of them.

We are talking about pure DEET here, not an insect repellent preparation that contains DEET along with solvents or other agents.

OK ... what would you recommend?

#63427 - 03/30/12 09:38 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
If HIV =/= (not equals sign) AIDS, then deer tick =/= Lyme disease.

Hey, maybe ticks cause AIDS. Yea, that makes perfect sense.

#63428 - 03/30/12 10:47 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: donald perry]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
tuck in your garments, deet or picardin up and bring a chicken or guinea hen with you! if it fell outta your head then i doubt it was connected = linden tick....was it fat or skinny?

#63429 - 03/30/12 11:18 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: crimpy]
donald perry Offline
veteran

I had white pants on and I checked myself all the way. I don't know what happened, all I can tell you is the damn thing fell out of my head. And, I know where these ticks come from. I'm off to get some more on Monday.

Edited by donald perry (03/30/12 11:33 PM)

#63431 - 03/30/12 11:36 PM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
If HIV =/= (not equals sign) AIDS, then deer tick =/= Lyme disease.

Hey, maybe ticks cause AIDS. Yea, that makes perfect sense.

Nearly 30 years ago, NYS sent "experts" out to public school faculty meetings to instruct and inform the staff to be prepared for an increase in the spread of AIDS. At some point during the discussion, a faculty member asked if AIDS could be transmitted via bug bites?
The informed answer from the "expert"? "We'll have to get back to you on that one." His response wasn't very reassuring at the time. whistle

#63436 - 03/31/12 12:04 AM Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks Ticks [Re: Rickster]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Say hello to my little friend, The Tick From Millbrook.

When wearing Level A protection, it is not uncommon for the environment inside the suit to be 20-30 F. hotter than ambient, and 100% humidity, within minutes of sealing up the suit. Because of this, medical monitoring is required before and after working in these suits.

Hazmat gear will usually be worn in several layers, making it even less comfortable to wear. Hazmat gear consists of an air- and water-proof oversuit, booties, gloves, and a hood. These pieces are often taped up, at the ankle and wrist, so that there are no gaps for nasty things to enter. After using this equipment in a hazardous environment, firefighters will have to be decontaminated (washed off) before they can remove the protective clothing.

The first layer is often station wear (uniform) or a one-piece Nomex jumpsuit. The jumpsuit seals snuggly at the ankles, wrists, and neck, giving fire protection - otherwise, in the event of a flash fire, the plastic suit otherwise stick to the skin. The back of the jumpsuit has a large patch identifying the wearer.

When I get to the climb I'll take off the HMS and put my clothing on.

Edited by donald perry (03/31/12 12:42 AM)

Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >

Sponsored