Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#64282 - 04/27/12 04:03 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: charliebutters]
skl Offline
stranger

Hi all,

I saw this discussion after most of it had already taken place, and I don't intend to butt in. But I should mention one thing. The nearest house to the campground boundary is actually a little over 50 yards away, not 500 yards. The entire campground site is within no more than 200 yards from existing houses. You can verify this for yourself using the resource in my original posting at the very top of this thread: the publicly available county tax maps on http://gis.co.ulster.ny.us/. Zoom in near the intersection of 299 and 44/55 until the "Aerial photos" layer is enabled, and select the "2009 Infrared" photo layer. You'll be able to see the driveways, and the houses at the end of them, in blue. The campground site is the fourth parcel from the intersection, on the south side of 299. You can use the measurement tool (the icon with the ruler and question mark) to estimate distances. It's approximate, but it will give you a rough idea.

I mention this only because those who camp at the site and those who live near it will be close neighbors. A few posters upthread commented that they just want a quiet, peaceful place to camp. That's pretty much the same thing the people living nearby want: a quiet, peaceful place (I'm speaking only for myself here, but I'm fairly sure the vast majority feel that way). I think we can all have that, and the campground and surrounding residential neighborhood can coexist peacefully, if we're conscious of--and sensitive to--each others' close proximity. That's why I reached out to the group on this forum. I appreciate having the chance to do so. And I'd be happy to talk in person with anyone who's interested.

Best regards,
Susan Lewis

#64283 - 04/27/12 04:59 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: skl]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
sounds reasonable, thanks!

#64284 - 04/27/12 05:08 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: charliebutters]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
It's interesting to us that both the State and the Mohonk Preserve can't seem to manage the two (MUA, Slime) campgrounds they already have. Why give them the opportunity to create another garbage dump near peoples homes? They should clean up what they have, show the neighbors it can work on a small scale and then approach the neighbors with a reasonable solution sans the pavilion for 300 person events and with a set of policies the neighbors can live with.

MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#64286 - 04/27/12 05:21 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: Advocacy group]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

The phone number for complaints at the MUA goes to an office in Long Island!!! The L.I. office said they get 2 calls per day complaining about the campground and were confused as to why people kept calling L.I. for a campground in Gardiner since it is not their zone.

MPNA
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#64287 - 04/27/12 05:36 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: skl]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Thank you.

#64295 - 04/27/12 08:48 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: ianmanger]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
it must be added to my earlier posts, and above, that the MUA is to be CLOSED when the new campground is opened, replacing an unmanaged filthy hole with a well run, clean, quiet campground. also, the kind of people that use the MUA are often undesirables, often not even recreationalists they just come there to party, drink, make noise, etc. the new campground would firmly solve this problem in that the AAC campgrounds are climbers only. not that they are always the highest life forms on earth, but on average way better than what you might find at the MUA.
I am speaking the most recent info I have, if any if this has changed (I hope not) I'd like to know.

#64370 - 04/30/12 02:49 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: phlan]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: phlan
it must be added to my earlier posts, and above, that the MUA is to be CLOSED when the new campground is opened, replacing an unmanaged filthy hole with a well run, clean, quiet campground. also, the kind of people that use the MUA are often undesirables, often not even recreationalists they just come there to party, drink, make noise, etc. the new campground would firmly solve this problem in that the AAC campgrounds are climbers only. not that they are always the highest life forms on earth, but on average way better than what you might find at the MUA.
I am speaking the most recent info I have, if any if this has changed (I hope not) I'd like to know.

Why not just put it on the north side of 299?

#64380 - 04/30/12 06:19 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: Advocacy group]
Mark Heyman Online   content
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)

It not your land? Perhaps you shouldn't have a say in it!
Perhaps you could donate the land you'd like to see it on!

#64396 - 05/01/12 02:11 AM Re: New campground planned [Re: Mark Heyman]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Mark Heyman

It not your land? Perhaps you shouldn't have a say in it!
Perhaps you could donate the land you'd like to see it on!

Just as a property owner possesses rights to use his property, he also holds rights to prevent others from using their land in a manner that harms him or his property. "Nuisance" describes a situation in which one landowner is using his property in a way that unreasonably limits the use of his neighbor's land.

A "public nuisance" causes distress to a large number of persons (an entire neighborhood or community) in the use of their land. For example, a cement factory, which discharges large amounts of smoke and dust, may amount to a public nuisance, or a campground that will create noise, garbage, trespass traffic issues, public safety issues etc....

Thanks, MPNA

#64399 - 05/01/12 02:36 AM Re: New campground planned [Re: Advocacy group]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
rock and roll is the devils music.

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored