Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#64357 - 04/30/12 01:14 AM Accident on Black Fly today
SethG Offline
addict

Loc: NYC
I wasn't in the Gunks today but I heard there was an accident on Black Fly, in which a top rope anchor failed, causing a climber being lowered to fall to the ground.

Does anyone have more information?

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone injured.

#64359 - 04/30/12 01:31 AM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: SethG]
bkg Offline
stranger

the accident your referring to occurred on Easy Keyhole. The climb to the immediate left of Black Fly in the early afternoon. Some of the details you mention might be correct I can't say for sure.

#64364 - 04/30/12 12:47 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: bkg]
Critter Offline
stranger

The accident was on Easy Keyhole. I was belaying a climber on Black Fly at the time. I was glad to have a guide with our group because i almost forgot about my climber when the accident happened and he reminded me i still had a climber on belay and needed to get him to the ground safely.

A girl fell when their top rope anchor failed. They said she was about 15 feet up but judging by the beta we were hearing we thought she was higher. We couldn't actually see where she was at the time though. She was climbing not being lowered when it happened.

I think they said they had webbing girth hitched around the tree at the top. Nobody seemed sure what part of it failed, a knot or a the webbing itself. Someone in my group said they thought they saw a tear in the webbing a couple inches from the knot. It all came down with the fall though. The ranger found an unlocked lockerbiner near the tree at the top but was unsure if it came from their anchor.

The girl was in pretty bad shape but still conscious but that seemed to be fading. She may have had a neck injury as her group was focusing on keeping her neck stable.
The rangers were there pretty quickly with a backboard and neck brace to get her to the ambulance that was waiting at the road by the bridge.

This was my first weekend climbing outdoors and this serves as a good reminder to keep anchors redundant and not get complacent.

I really hope she pulls through and ends up ok.

#64367 - 04/30/12 01:16 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: bkg]
SethG Offline
addict

Gail Blauer posted some info she got from some rangers over on rc.com:

Quote:
Sunday, April 29th

Apparently a group of climbers set up a top rope on the tree above Black Fly. According to the rangers, the rigging failed (6 or so slings somehow attached and wrapped around the tree). Apparently one climber was lowered to the ground, the second climber ascended and when she sat back the rigging failed and she hit the deck.

The rangers were very concerned about her well being as she was altered, very pale and had some type leg injury.

Thoughts and prayers to the injured climber and those who set up the rigging. I hope they all recover quickly.

rc.com thread

If it's just a leg injury that sounds like good news.

#64372 - 04/30/12 03:02 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: SethG]
bkg Offline
stranger

the accident yesterday was on Easy Keyhole. Rangers and emergency personnel were on the scene immediately. Despite the efforts of the Rangers, medical personnel and volunteers the climber died.

The TR anchor did fail. The climber was not wearing a helmet though they fell a great distance hitting the ground. my thoughts are with the family and friends of the young climber.

#64373 - 04/30/12 03:13 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: bkg]
SethG Offline
addict

Horrible news. I am so sorry for anyone involved or related. Sincere condolences. Such a tragedy.

#64374 - 04/30/12 03:14 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: bkg]
Critter Offline
stranger

I'm deeply saddened to hear that the climber died. My thoughts are with her, her family, and the other climbers with her as well.

#64376 - 04/30/12 03:26 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: SethG]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I am so very sorry to hear this news. My condolences to friends and family, and anyone involved.

#64378 - 04/30/12 04:36 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: Julie]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Oh crap. This is awful news. My sincere condolences and thoughts to all.

Originally Posted By: Julie
I am so very sorry to hear this news. My condolences to friends and family, and anyone involved.

#64379 - 04/30/12 05:45 PM Re: Accident on Black Fly today [Re: ianmanger]
SethG Offline
addict

Article in the Record

Quote:
GARDINER — A New Jersey woman was killed when she fell 20 feet while rock climbing at the Trapps cliff area of the Mohonk Preserve Sunday afternoon.
State police said Stephanie Prezant, 22, of Haworth, N.J. was climbing with friends when she fell and struck her head. She was not wearing a helmet.
State police in Highland said that the Prezant's harness had come undone.
The woman was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie where she was pronounced dead.

Rest in peace, Stephanie. So young.

I assume the state police in Highland don't really know that her harness came undone. Although anything's possible.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored