Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#64526 - 05/02/12 09:14 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: curmudgeon]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Still can't figure out which European country it's set to.

UT (Universal Time), formerly Greenwich Mean Time. Look at the top of the shoutbox to learn to adjust this.

#64527 - 05/02/12 09:17 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: Mark Heyman]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark Heyman
Fact checking of posted content would be usefull!
How?

#64529 - 05/02/12 09:34 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: oenophore]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: oenophore
I wonder why you'd want this. It would only tax your server more.

Wouldn't a site owner want more traffic? If not, what's the point of the site? The best way to reduce server load would be to shut down the site, which I don't think is the point!

#64530 - 05/02/12 09:46 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: webmaster]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
This site had a purpose and real usefulness at one time. It was information that pertained to climbers and climbing in the area. Build on what you have and what you want to the site to be. You still have a small user base. Add pertinent content. My bet is that Linking to something much bigger than it will dilute what you have and hasten its demise. The things you mention just sound as if you want clicks to gain advertisers.

Twitter? Yeah I've heard of it. Not sure why I would look into yet another flavor of the day. Yes I am aware "everyone else is". We've seen MySpace and others get popular for a time. I bet I'm still counted as a member there though I might not even be able to logon easily. I'm on FB and (still) use it grudgingly. I try not to link anything to FB. I won't look at pages the auto-create posts though I have clicked on a few by accident. Apparently and unfortunately FB has the same rights to the information on my IPhone as I do. Add a contact on the phone and in a couple of hours I'll have a friend request for that person on FB. Wouldn't be hard for a company to serve the public better than FB which is completely self-serving. Guess that matches too many of its users too.

You still have a small but dedicated user base. The question is what is Gunks.com going to offer that a big better site isn't already doing - bigger and better? Anyway you don't need to ask what things need to be done, and they should be first, like fixing the plethora of editing bugs that prevent user form easily getting an edited post on the board. How do you post a picture here …

#64532 - 05/03/12 01:09 AM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: Julie]
donald perry Online   content
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Julie
I agree with what Doug said. In addition, item #0 needs to be some really heavy-handed moderation of accident threads. I tried to beat some sense into DJP (and I did it away from the accident thread at the time) but, alas, he seemed to get the point for about 3 minutes then went back to the regular monologue. So someone needs to step up as far as accident threads are concerned.

I'm on the fence but about to quit FB. Agree with keeping this site its own island. Enough with the "integration" already.

I understand that some of you do not agree with me. And I don't know why you don't send me a private letter. Perhaps I should try and explain again what I am saying because I don't think I have made myself clear enough: What I am posting about or why I am posting this and that in the accident thread. There are a couple of things going on here.

First, I see in some of these letters that I am being taken out of context.

Second, in the thread we have: "hard to fathom, considering the preventability … A needless, preventable death such as this is beyond explanation." "nothing like this should happen, ever." Whether you want to admit it or not there is blame in the thread and the message is that the person that set up the top rope has blood on his hands. And maybe you are OK with that, but I'm not. I am sure the accident was not intentional; accidents do not have to be anyone's fault per-say. But it is the fault of the climbing community. And when these kinds of statements are made in the thread they need to be answered in the tread because family members and the people who set up the anchor will be reading them. Such thinking is misplaced. They refused to take into account that we are just as reckless as the persons who set up that anchor, and we will continue to be reckless, it is just on another level.

Third, this is not a legitimate climbing accident because these people involved were not any more climbers then they were mountaineers. It is more so an unfortunate chain of events and misconceptions that lead up to a realization of what rock-climbing is.

Fourth, there are a number of ways something like this could have happened that are easy to explain that would prove it was not the fault of the person who set up the rope. I went over all these at length to take heat off the party that set up the rope but now the heat is back on big time. We have yet to know what happened. What's up with that?

But I can tell you what will mean something, and that is if Stephanie's death is not in vain. That would be if we promise to talk to others on the carriage road and new climbers and remember Stephanie. Then there is a point in all these things and all these posts when Stephanie means something to all of us. Everything else is meaningless unless we can do something to help prevent the next accident.

Is this something we can do? Perhaps can we start talking to people and learning how to help them prevent accidents? If not, if we cannot be self governing, I would assume that sooner or later the state will need to step in and take over. The best solution however would be that the Preserve allow the AMC to require safety certifications for climbing as they did before. And I think today that the climbing community should and would support such certifications. And in this way climbing could be opened up again in places where it has been banned.

What do you think?

#64534 - 05/03/12 01:20 AM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: Doug]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I am purposely not a FB user and would be very hesitant to post here if there was any linkage to FB that would allow them access to any of my personal data. I admittedly don't know how FB works in this context (does anyone really?) and so would tend to embrace discretion as the better part of valor.

#64563 - 05/03/12 02:31 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry

I understand that some of you do not agree with me. And I don't know why you don't send me a private letter. Perhaps I should try and explain again what I am saying because I don
[Damned broken quote function....]

Are you really that dense and unfeeling? It's not what you're saying that Julie et al objected to...it's that you decided to pontificate in the thread where people were offering their condolences, sadness, and well wishes to those who knew her. A thread that very likely will be viewed by members of her family, friends, partners, and the people she was climbing with. It is totally inappropriate to lecture people and take them to task in that context. That's what you're getting flack about. Eventually you did move it to a secondary thread, but not realizing that's what you should have done with your first post on the subject is the problem.

#64634 - 05/04/12 09:50 AM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: webmaster]
Carpal Tunnel

One feature in yesteryear's Gunks.com was inclusion of a poster's IP address. In that way, we could see whether that poster had more than one user name.

#71106 - 01/09/14 06:42 PM Re: Changes to Gunks.com [Re: oenophore]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Bump.
Glad to see all these new changes to the site.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored