Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 16 of 27 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#65533 - 06/19/12 11:28 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
But the lay of the land will make the water bars drain over Easy O, which could create new issues. I think it would be well worth having folks who know something about trail-building assess the drainage situation and see if water bars are a good idea; they certainly are called for in terms of the erosion of the present terrain.

French drain and a downspout?

#65535 - 06/20/12 12:55 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
Originally Posted By: empicard
Well done, gentlemen. Curious how long before some rain brings it all back.

Good question. It appears that, over the years since Easy O was first climbed, erosion has averaged roughly 1/3 inch per year on average (about two feet, as I remember it appearing, in 71 years). Of course, even if the average rate is correct, the rate for any one season could vary (and has varied) very considerably, both because of the frequency of human traffic and the severity of weather.

The rate of erosion may prove to be faster the "second" time around as the topsoil and foliage are already gone. Excerbating the issue is the removal of the stones from the drainage area, current rainfall will cut down much faster over that sandy surface.

Fortunately, the photos show that the trail is not cambered. Which means alternating the water bars to both sides will help prevent sending all the water over one cliff edge. The more water bars used, the greater the dispersal area and hopefully less erosion.

#65537 - 06/20/12 02:00 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: TrappDyke]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Originally Posted By: TrappDyke
Empicard, I think that comment is inappropriate.

Yeah you insensitive clod!

#65538 - 06/20/12 02:04 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: Rickster]
Bill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mass Land
Quote:
The rate of erosion may prove to be faster the "second" time around as the topsoil and foliage are already gone.

I want to see the refereed journal articles to back up this surmise!!!!

More seriously, erosion and rockfall have absolutely nothing to do with it. It is a philosophical? or ethical? choice; rap off/toprope versus walk off? Absolutely nothing more. At least until someone chops it. Then you have no choice unless you want to build an anchor and retrieve it after your TR crew is done. And you know where I stand. Chop it and keep chopping it!

I assume all those who are so concerned about the danger of disloging rocks if they top out on SOE and thus rap from the "safety/thinking of others" anchor, never rap Baby and always walk off.

BTW - Three lurkers, who never or rarely post here, have complimented on my original post on this thread. Moral of the story: Post more often when fueled by 3 glasses of wine!!!!

#65552 - 06/21/12 02:06 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
worthrussell Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, Brooklyn
Terrie when youre out i'll come. Grab me this fall. You gotta get up here to the dacks with Val this Summer. Temps are a little cooler and the crowds are non existent

#65560 - 06/21/12 03:15 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
retr2327 Offline

"It appears that, over the years since Easy O was first climbed, erosion has averaged roughly 1/3 inch per year on average (about two feet, as I remember it appearing, in 71 years)."

I knew you'd been climbing for a long time, but I had no idea it was that long . . .

#65565 - 06/21/12 04:16 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retr2327]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
I have no dog in the fight, but still, thanks, RG!

GO

#65567 - 06/21/12 05:19 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: GOclimb]
Bill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mass Land
Quote:
I have no dog in the fight

Oh come on Gabe! Can't you make one up and jump on in?!?!? grin

#65569 - 06/21/12 05:58 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retr2327]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Originally Posted By: retr2327
"It appears that, over the years since Easy O was first climbed, erosion has averaged roughly 1/3 inch per year on average (about two feet, as I remember it appearing, in 71 years)."

I knew you'd been climbing for a long time, but I had no idea it was that long . . .

55 years is long enough, thanks, let's not add any more time than necessary to guarantee I'm still alive.

The two-foot guess was from memory of the exposed root system of a tree just out of the picture next to Rob's feet, not from some seventy-one year old recollection of the land before time.

You can't see the tree, but the depth of the trough is partially visible on the left side of the photo.

#65583 - 06/21/12 11:56 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
what'd i said?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Page 16 of 27 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 27 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored