Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 27 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#65486 - 06/15/12 08:11 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The Supertopo example illustrates that the discussion is alive and well elsewhere too. However, the circumstances are not quite the same. The unidentified Supertopo situation involved an expanding crack. Hence, a bolt anchor sounds like a very good idea vs. Lost Arrows pounded to the eye.

#65487 - 06/15/12 08:28 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: Rickster]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Thanks for the cleanup Rich and Rob!

Reminds me of an instance a few years ago. We were doing trailwork, with the griphoists and rockbars, working a long stretch of cliff base trail, and someone comes along, thanks us and *suggests* a project for us might be cleaning up the ledges with loose rocks.

Of course, it IS a legitimate project. Maybe it was just the suggester's delivery was off.... But the reply(not from my mouth) was something along the lines of "That's a great idea. Let's you go do that!"

The mouth dropped gape reaction was priceless.

#65488 - 06/15/12 08:30 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
My knee is ok for moderate trail hiking (and Uberfall scrambling) at this point, and it withstood carrying packs of rocks up to a level spot thirty feet higher up. Naturally, I'm suffering from the general deconditioning imposed by four months of reduced activity (and 68 years of living), I can't run or jump rope yet without pain (boo hoo), and I can't high-step in a climbing position,

I feel your pain -- literally. frown

#65489 - 06/15/12 11:09 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: oenophore]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Nice work.

Great to see you were out doing some physical activity. When you are ready to test some light climbing just let me know.

#65490 - 06/15/12 11:30 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: Coppertone]
worthrussell Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, Brooklyn
Looks great, nice work, well done. Glad to see we arent all like me. Talk is cheap taking time out of your climbing day is commendable. I'll have to try it, someday.

#65493 - 06/16/12 10:59 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: worthrussell]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Trailwork is tomorrow morning at 9am, Worth.... wink

#65498 - 06/18/12 02:45 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
Bill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mass Land
Thanks guys!

We ran up it Friday night and got a first hand look - nice work!!!

#65530 - 06/19/12 05:17 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: Bill]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Well done, gentlemen. Curious how long before some rain brings it all back.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#65531 - 06/19/12 07:12 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: empicard]
TrappDyke Offline
journeyman

Empicard, I think that comment is inappropriate.

#65532 - 06/19/12 07:46 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: empicard]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Originally Posted By: empicard
Well done, gentlemen. Curious how long before some rain brings it all back.

Good question. It appears that, over the years since Easy O was first climbed, erosion has averaged roughly 1/3 inch per year on average (about two feet, as I remember it appearing, in 71 years). Of course, even if the average rate is correct, the rate for any one season could vary (and has varied) very considerably, both because of the frequency of human traffic and the severity of weather.

If 1/3 of an inch is in the ball park, the area isn't going to look like the "before" shot for several years, and our guess that the cleanup will last a season seems pretty reasonable.

Rick's comment about water bars is on target. At this point, the top is a water chute that will continue eroding whether or not anyone tops out. But the lay of the land will make the water bars drain over Easy O, which could create new issues. I think it would be well worth having folks who know something about trail-building assess the drainage situation and see if water bars are a good idea; they certainly are called for in terms of the erosion of the present terrain.

One of the things that became apparent is the debris from the top does wash over onto the ledges below. We did try to clean up the ledge immediately below the lip, but, having brought up only a short static rope, we couldn't rap further to clean ledges lower down. The fact that debris from the top does end up on lower ledges makes the top clean up a good thing even if people aren't going to top out.

Page 15 of 27 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 27 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored