Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 32 of 39 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#68339 - 06/16/13 06:18 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Lucander]
Dana Offline
addict

Dave,

Check the Visitor Center this week - something for you there.

#68343 - 06/18/13 01:56 AM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Dana]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A guide who I took a learning to lead two day lesson from about 12 years ago at a different location once told me that somehow The Gunks manages to absorb the pressure put on it by its proximity to such a population in a way that other areas never could. I guess that was true then because when you read threads like have occured in the last few pages here, you realize it can't accomodate that pressure and stay true to its heritage. Rich, it's sad that you're one of the few carrying the torch you are carrying. It's even more sad that the only governing/regulating body that has the power to preserve the heritage of climbing there, doesn't. And it is perhaps a little shocking to me that at least one climber can't see the trees for the forest. Back to lurking. I suppose my status of non-Gunks climber doesn't give me a valid voice anyway. Keep fighting Rich, it's worth it.

#68349 - 06/18/13 03:01 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: strat]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I once saw a photo of the Trapps, I believe from the '30s, with a truely staggering number of trees present. I've only been climbing there since '78 and have seen a significant change. We have all seen the beating that young trees take as everyone drags rope across them, steps on them, etc. There is no way the area will retain the population of trees we have enjoyed on the cliff if we aren't careful and smart. So what? I think present and future climbers appreciate the time they spend around the snakes, birds, skinks, etc. that inhabit the area and there would be far less of that if the tree population erodes far enough. How about asthetics?
I love that I have the top of the cliff to myself most of the time, but is that robbing Peter to pay Paul? This is a complex problem but worth continued discussion. Without shutting down the numbers allowed, the area will degrade in some way. I remain fully with Rich on anchors but there are those days when it rains mid-pitch or someone needs to bail for another reason. There is nothing wrong with leaving gear or a temporary tree sling and buying new stuff later when the carrion swoop in for the booty or to remove the slingage. We can all afford it. Be nice to the trees.

Edited by chip (06/18/13 03:19 PM)

#68350 - 06/18/13 04:28 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: chip]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Chip brings up an interesting point. The foliage is as much a part of the environment as the wildlife.

Why can't we as a climbing community take as much care of the cliffface trees as we do with the wildlife?

Additionally, imagine what your summer time climbing will be like without the respite of shade beneath those conveniently placed trees while you belay your partner or client up to the belay.

#68351 - 06/18/13 09:15 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Rickster]
tradjunkie Online   content
enthusiast

So we manage to kill the shade trees on the cliff but not the chigger habitat. What's up with that?

#68352 - 06/18/13 10:47 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: tradjunkie]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: tradjunkie
So we manage to kill the shade trees on the cliff but not the chigger habitat. What's up with that?

The only way to get rid of chiggers would be to nuke the whole place.

#68353 - 06/18/13 10:49 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: tradjunkie

The only way to get rid of chiggers would be to nuke the whole place.

Except then, we'd have chiggers the size of cows.

#68359 - 06/20/13 08:03 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Rickster]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
As another climber who is no longer resident at the Gunks, I will refrain from adding my $.02 to the anchor discussion. However as a long time gunks.commer, I think it is perfectly reasonable to share my opinion on the larger subject. It is this:

kenr - I don't know you, and maybe you're not like this in real life, but the way you present yourself here you come off like a self-centered ass who thinks of nothing more than his own convenience.

Cheers, all.

GO

#68360 - 06/21/13 02:36 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: Rickster]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Ooooo. Cow chiggers! Now that's good eatin'.

#68361 - 06/21/13 04:37 PM Re: Shawangunk Anchors - Wish Lists and Updates [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: retroscree

Ooooo. Cow chiggers! Now that's good eatin'.

I'm sure. But, the anti-GMO folks wouldn't like it one damn bit. whistle

Page 32 of 39 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored