Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#65345 - 06/08/12 01:02 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: yorick]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Seems like a moth drawn to the flame that is gunks.com, to have returned under three different names.

#65347 - 06/08/12 02:21 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: sandia]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Totally awesome messaging, brah. Nagging thought that PR may not be your thing.

#65348 - 06/08/12 04:20 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: ianmanger]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
I thought all that rhetoric, ranting, and heavy serving of sour grapes read as very familiar, especially when applied to the same topic.

#65352 - 06/08/12 09:33 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: sandia]
Ralph Offline

I've gotta start reading the Wall Street Journal. Who knew it would be so........ lively and impassioned.
Okay. Right turn, Clyde.
Howza bout this: Maybe we could convince Mr. Hoaglands consigliere that it might expedite the whole situation if the Preserve could carve off a little piece of heaven from the 850 acres they recently obtained, and use that for the camground?
I still get the caretakers position, obviously.

#65353 - 06/08/12 10:25 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: Ralph]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Originally Posted By: Ralph

Howza bout this: Maybe we could convince Mr. Hoaglands consigliere that it might expedite the whole situation if the Preserve could carve off a little piece of heaven from the 850 acres they recently obtained, and use that for the camground?

That depends...which side of the road is it on?

#65354 - 06/08/12 11:20 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: Mike Rawdon]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Originally Posted By: Ralph

That depends...which side of the road is it on?

Does it have any "neighbors"?

#65355 - 06/09/12 01:17 AM Re: New campground planned [Re: retroscree]
sandia Offline
stranger

I love the AAC campground plan.

Free camping in Gunks, with its history extending back to the beginning, will soon be gone forever.

This is a done deal.

We must be clear: ACC and Mohonk is instrumental in this development, which GCC/Access Fund chose to support.

I made my views known to AAC, GCC DEC and Access Fund in a fairly calm and reasoned manner through personal telephone conversations.

I'm expressing myself on this board in a far more agitated manner, but obviously my underlying point of view is considered merely weird.

I suspect this is at least in part because the half-dozen regulars here don't use the MUA at all, and essentially aren't knowledgeable or even curious.

My posts here are therefore, fairly pointless.

#65357 - 06/09/12 12:15 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: sandia]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Sandia,

The AMC, MP, DEC, AAC, GCCC, Access Fund, PIPC, Friends of the Shawangunks and the Town of Gardiner have all had a hand in these developments. It's really no surprise that there is confusion as to how it came about, or the way it has been recieved by various groups or individuals.

You are most likely correct about how many particpants here have used or currently us the MUA. I've lived 20 minutes from the cliffs for nearly 30 years, and even closer some years before that so have no need to campout. And, before that, NP dorms, or the back of my truck on the old Wawarsing Turnpike.

However, you've read some posts above from individuals that were indeed informed and some that have been certainly curious.

I believe that if your tone had been less "agitated", this discussion would not have degraded.

#65359 - 06/09/12 02:19 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: sandia]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: sandia
I love the AAC campground plan.

Free camping in Gunks, with its history extending back to the beginning, will soon be gone forever.

This is a done deal.

We must be clear: ACC and Mohonk is instrumental in this development, which GCC/Access Fund chose to support.

I made my views known to AAC, GCC DEC and Access Fund in a fairly calm and reasoned manner through personal telephone conversations.

I'm expressing myself on this board in a far more agitated manner, but obviously my underlying point of view is considered merely weird.

I suspect this is at least in part because the half-dozen regulars here don't use the MUA at all, and essentially aren't knowledgeable or even curious.

My posts here are therefore, fairly pointless.

Yeah, pretty much. Me me me me me! You act like a pampered child who firmly believes that free camping in the Gunks is a god-given right. It isn't - it's mostly private land with a little bit of state owned (the MUA - which wasn't really used, certainly not as a campground, until the late 80's), so sack up - it's the landowners who get to decide, not you.

I'm trying to think of what other major climbing destinations in the US have free camping.....

#65360 - 06/09/12 03:26 PM Re: New campground planned [Re: retroscree]
Ralph Offline

NY state actually owns about 25,000 acres of land attached to and adjoining the ridge. They don't want you camping there either. Paying or not.

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored