Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#65145 - 06/02/12 02:04 AM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: Advocacy group
The article in the New Paltz times is basically a rebuttal of all the negative publicity that the Mohonk Preserve has been getting for burning the ridge and putting neighbors at risk. It is interesting how they continue to say that fire is natural in the Northeast......complete propaganda!

Natural fires occur occasionally anywhere there is fuel, oxygen and lighting. Pretty sure that includes the northeast.

Fire risk to homes? It exists, always. Many home owners around here ask the fire company to burn their property to minimize that risk.

Spin it any way you like. Not all of us are fools.

#65146 - 06/02/12 02:25 AM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Rickster]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
Originally Posted By: Rickster
... When was the last natural fire in the gunks?

Your are kidding right?

You have certainly lived along the ridge long enough to remember the Overlook Fire along Rt. 44/55 west of Minnewaska? April 17 to 21, 2008?

www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galle...n=desktop#img-6

This wildfire burned for 4 days and had many land managers and home owners very concerned.

Then we remember what happened to Wildmere and Cliff House at the old Minnewaska Hotel Resort? Though arson isn't "natural", that fire could have been even more devastating to the ridge environs if not for the strong response of multiple companies of fire fighters, the hotel's road network allowing for the access of fire trucks, and forming fire breaks, and the close proximity of a ready source of water.

On two occasions during my early climbing years at the Gunks, ranger Thom Schuer stopped at the Uberfall and recruited us to assist in the fighting of brush fires along Overcliff Rd.

I can't imagine that over the years, there have not been more wildfires.

The overlook fire was not natural either........
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#65149 - 06/02/12 10:55 AM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY

... When was the last natural fire in the gunks?

Your are kidding right?

You have certainly lived along the ridge long enough to remember the Overlook Fire along Rt. 44/55 west of Minnewaska? April 17 to 21, 2008?

www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galle...n=desktop#img-6

This wildfire burned for 4 days and had many land managers and home owners very concerned.

Then we remember what happened to Wildmere and Cliff House at the old Minnewaska Hotel Resort? Though arson isn't "natural", that fire could have been even more devastating to the ridge environs if not for the strong response of multiple companies of fire fighters, the hotel's road network allowing for the access of fire trucks, and forming fire breaks, and the close proximity of a ready source of water.

On two occasions during my early climbing years at the Gunks, ranger Thom Schuer stopped at the Uberfall and recruited us to assist in the fighting of brush fires along Overcliff Rd.

I can't imagine that over the years, there have not been more wildfires.

The overlook fire was not natural either........

Yep, that is true. Nothing natural about discarded cigarette butts, or a campfire gone wrong, sparks from a home chimney, or arson. Unless one considers poor and careless human behaviour to be in some way.... natural.

Whatever the source of the fire, the risk and after effects of a resultant wildfire are just as severe. And, some proven prevention protocols include education, enforcement, prescribed burns, and construction of fire breaks.

Why would we not use all the protocols available to us to prepare for and fight, any wild fire no matter the source?

#65151 - 06/02/12 11:11 AM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Rickster]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

So first you say the overlook fire was natural, now you say it's not. So again I ask when was the last natual fire in the gunks? If it's such a natural part of the ecosystem and our forests depend on it as touted by the Mohonk preserve you should be able to show us the historical fires that keep our ecosystem in balance.
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#65152 - 06/02/12 12:20 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
I didn't define the Overlook Fire as natural or not, I labeled it a wild fire. Maybe that's the wrong term, but when it rages to a point by where fire fighters were barely able to put it down, it's a danger to forest and friend.

Natural or not, wild fires are common enough to be of concern. As I posted above, I personally participated in two small fire fights above the Overcliff Rd in the late seventies. Both of these were presumed natural as they were well away from any trails.

Your local fire companies would have records of fire calls. If you are truely interested in more specific historical records to answer your querie, that's where you should seek more exacting data.

#65154 - 06/02/12 01:04 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Rickster]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
So again I ask when was the last natual fire in the gunks? If it's such a natural part of the ecosystem and our forests depend on it as touted by the Mohonk preserve you should be able to show us the historical fires that keep our ecosystem in balance.

Your local fire companies would have records of fire calls. If you are truely interested in more specific historical records to answer your querie, that's where you should seek more exacting data.

Advocacy group: Many of us are we are interested in the area, but it's your fight, not ours. So, while we are willing to disagree with your propaganda, we aren't willing to put a lot of work into it.

#65155 - 06/02/12 01:27 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Rickster]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

I didn't define the Overlook Fire as natural or not, I labeled it a wild fire. Maybe that's the wrong term, but when it rages to a point by where fire fighters were barely able to put it down, it's a danger to forest and friend.

Natural or not, wild fires are common enough to be of concern. As I posted above, I personally participated in two small fire fights above the Overcliff Rd in the late seventies. Both of these were presumed natural as they were well away from any trails.

You actually did say the overlook fire was natural..... I asked when was the last NATURAL fire at the gunks and you said "Your are kidding right?
You have certainly lived along the ridge long enough to remember the Overlook Fire along Rt. 44/55 west of Minnewaska? April 17 to 21, 2008? "

So the propaganda from the Mohonk Preserve continues about fire being NATURAL in the gunks......

#65156 - 06/02/12 01:33 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
please explain how people and their actions are not natural?

#65158 - 06/02/12 04:04 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: crimpy]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: crimpy
please explain how people and their actions are not natural?

The mohonk Preserve has tried to use the overlook fire to promote their burning program. All of their literature says that fire is a natural part of the northeast forest ecosystem which is simply not true. More pseudo science coming from the Daniel Smiley research center to promote their agenda. If they want to get rid of invasive species they should use their volunteer base to manually pull the weeds like other parks instead of endangering the neighbors and local businesses that surround the Mohonk Preserve.

Thanks, MPNA

#65162 - 06/02/12 04:29 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Mark Heyman]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mark Heyman
Advocacy group: Many of us are we are interested in the area, but it's your fight, not ours. So, while we are willing to disagree with your propaganda, we aren't willing to put a lot of work into it.

Careful. Now the crazy man of Canaan Road will just accuse you of having multiple personality disorder or using the regal "we" and your statements will be ignored.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored