Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#65286 - 06/05/12 08:51 PM Hill climbs (road bike) around the Gunks?
Doug Offline

Anyone have any suggestions? Favorites? I've biked in the area a few times and plan to ride more in the next few months and want to try the hardest and best climbs around.

Route 44/55 from 209 was pretty good with around 5 miles of climbing. Mountain Rest Rd up to the Mohonk Gate House was good too - steeper, but only a bit over two miles.

Any other suggestions? The harder, the better! I'm checking out roads on MapMyRide.com to get ideas, but it is hard to tell if the roads are open to the public, dirt/gravel, or unusable for some other reason. It looks like Ice Cave Road from Ellenville might be a short, steep candidate, but I can't find info if it goes onto private/park land. Mountain Road / Old Mountain Road by Spring Glen? Something by Wurstboro?

If you have any suggestions, or feedback on the status of roads above, please let me know!

#65297 - 06/06/12 01:09 AM Re: Hill climbs (road bike) around the Gunks? [Re: Doug]
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ

You've got to dig around but the data is here..

http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/m/climbs/index.htm#Mohonk_West

#65307 - 06/06/12 01:16 PM Re: Hill climbs (road bike) around the Gunks? [Re: ShakesALot]
Doug Offline

Thanks - looks like some good info I'll have to read through tonight.

#65817 - 07/06/12 12:42 PM Re: Hill climbs (road bike) around the Gunks? [Re: Doug]
Doug Offline

BTW, I had lots of fun riding out there. There are some good climbs around Ellenville, particularly up Cragsmoor (via Rt 52/S Gully/Sam's Point/Laurel Mtn). Laurel Mountain road is just a little cul de sac with a decent view. It is 5 miles bottom to top at ~6.8% average (though it is not a terribly consistent climb - there are rest sections and steeper bits). The descent on 52 has a really nice view and a pretty good shoulder.

It also looks like there are also a lot of nice climbs North of Ashokan and Rondout Reservoirs. This is starting to get a little far for me to ride to and back from the Gunks, but I'd like to drive out to and try.

FWIW, I found a lot of good candidates using strava.com.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored